Scale Driver????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Aaron

i was curious who you guys think makes a good scale driver? i have a Phil Thomas 82U55 hull comming that i will be running a full mod C.C. Zenoah 26. i had Phil do the gas sport hull with the scale cowl. i want to try this combo but i want to make it a scale boat. so any suggestions on a driver figure would be great!! pics would be cool too. thanks for the help, Aaron

go to bonzi sports web page they have 1/8 scale drivers(new style) already done with jackets orange helments etc,,Or henry valasco(ole style) he also offers 1/8 scale drivers(on this you have to do the finish work,painting,,thats all) but the quality is excellent..... hope this helps....

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys for the info. anbody else????

Aron, I am making some 1/8th scale drivers, Al Waters saw them at the 2006 Namba electric Nats, if your interested i can send you a pic, my drivers are a little different in the fact that they are actually cast twice, a thin shell of resin and then casting foam, they float, one bailed after an collision between two 1/8ths he was floating and was able to race the next heat

here are some pics of some other drivers I have made in 1/10th down,

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/ph...o.php?photo=270

I am also considering making closed cockpit drivers...

I had a Larry Kraemer Driver with a Kim Smith Driving Suit and Life Jacket that I thought was awesome..

However, EDDIEH'ss drivers look like by far some of the best detail yet..

I am also considering making closed cockpit drivers...
Please do, I'd like to see some more choices for nice closed cockpit drivers. :)

Thanks fellas, we raced electric 1/8th at the Nats, I just ran out of time and didn't want to put a boat in the water without ever testing it, we did have a fuel 1/8th guy there (wally) who was tremendously helpful, I will make the 1/8th closed cockpit, I assume you just need from the shoulders up? or should I make the waist up and you fellows can trim off what you don't need? I could cast my bodies from solid resin, as I believe some guys mount the body directly over the engine cylinder, this will put a hurting on my drivers LOL.... I have no idea what the temps are...

I will be doing 4 or 5 heads for the 1/8th size, the simpson sidewinder style helmet, a standard full face, a vintage 50's brain bucket style and a standard 60's with visor, and Al wants a 60-70's style that has a clip on full face visor (similar to the regular 60's style but no sun visor)

I'll have to talk to mike mcknight about 1/8th scale decals for the helmets, he really does a great job...

anyway anybody need anything special let me know, I do this more as a hobby then a business..

Those driver's look good. how much for one 1/8 scale guys? any more pics of some painted ones? thanks and keep me posted. aaron

Those driver's look good. how much for one 1/8 scale guys? any more pics of some painted ones? thanks and keep me posted. aaron

Aaron for guys on this forum and rumrunner I guess 30 bucks, sound Fair? my 1/10th scale guy sells usually for 34.95 from Fullers fast electric,

I am painting one for my 1/8th 80 back up bud, so I can post a pic or two..........

I notice that there seem to be two different size drivers that are being used in the scale class. I know one size is 1/8 scale. The other driver may be 1/10 scale. Has anyone else noticed the difference? It seems that the smaller driver looks better in the cockpit but is it legal? Perry

capt, those pics are several different scales that I make, the largest shown is 1/10th scale, I will be posting pics of my 1/8th drivers, I don't think it is illegal but it wouldn't look right, the 1/8th is larger etc etc , I was asked for the 1/10th guys from the E-RCU folks, and it looks great in my 1/10th scale miss budweiser... I am more of a modeler then a racer.... not that I don't love racing, but I am better at modeling :D

thanks aaron will have pics up tommorrow...

Eddie is a person who runs FE and builds some nice drivers. He can now make drivers for 1/8th scale FE and nitro running boats in different eras and sizes. At the FE Nats, drivers jumped ship and even had a broken neck but they floated and were easily fixable. That was the beauty.

If you want cloth life vests, I like Larry's drivers. If you dont need the cloth vests, Eddie makes some nice stuff. He likes detail. You should see his concourse winner from the FE Nats.

On the full faced helemts with the visor, I would like to see the visor go all the way down to the chin area and not see part of the helmet at the chin area. All we have to do is tell Eddie what we want. He can do anything. He is very proud of his work and is meticulous.

Thanks, Al

Thanx Al...

Aaron didn't forget you bud, I just haven't had a chance to paint up any of the new ones, almost finished my 80 bud back-up so I'll have one painted for that..,

Thanx Al...

Aaron didn't forget you bud, I just haven't had a chance to paint up any of the new ones, almost finished my 80 bud back-up so I'll have one painted for that..,
sounds good, just keep me posted. aaron

Thanx Al...

sounds good, just keep me posted. aaron
Aaron, finally got around to painting a few, rush job, but here ya go here is a 60's style I make with goggles also have one without

60-70-1.jpg

full face, helmet, this is the one I'll be uising in my back up bud

fullface2.jpg

fullface3.jpg

Invader style full face helmet

invader1.jpg

invader3.jpg

and here's a vintage driver

vintage1.jpg

vintage2.jpg

and a pic of my velasko 80 Bud Back up

it's powered by a 2280 lehner, schulze 40-160 esc, 32 gp 3700's, speedmaster hardware and Proline media ( thanx Mike) graphics, dupont lacquer paint

bbackup1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to see an enclosed driver. Also, I think a waist would be better since some boats are more exposed in the cockpit than others

Back