RTR hydros-thoughts needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petdos

Hi to all, just wanted to get some input to some of these,rtr hydros,on the market now,as in Miss vegas/budwisser/oporto etc,im not overly worried about the motor just the designe of the hull,are they any good,thanks peter.(my misses is determined to get me one) :(sorry stuck it in the wrong place)

Last edited by a moderator:
My 17 yr old daughter won a Miss Vegas as a door prize at a race in Evansville last year. I would have never bought one because I thought they were cheeply constructed. After a day at the lake breaking in the motor and working on strut depth and picking the right prop, it has turned out to be a very good running, fast, and stable boat. She loves it. She races it in stock RTR at our district races. I think it would be a good starting place for a new racer, and with Tower Hobbies selling them for under $300 the price is right too.

DonB

There are a few around here and i have had 2.Do "some" of the mods recommended and you will have a nice starting boat.

The motors are decent.Form what i read the vegas is the best rtr hydro.

The glass is thin but for the money i would recommend them.

Towers had them on special to club members for 249.99 and we had 50.00 off if you bought over 250.00 and free shipping until May 31st.

you will need some other goodies so it works out to 200.00 vor the vegas and that deal cannot be beat.

I got 2 guys into the super vee 27 and they work as nice as the vegas and are easier to setup and better tank and hardware than the vegas .I would recommend them to a new boater before the vegas. Just a thought

Get the membership first and then buy the boat. ;)

Terry

Hi to all, just wanted to get some input to some of these,rtr hydros,on the market now,as in Miss vegas/budwisser/oporto etc,im not overly worried about the motor just the designe of the hull,are they any good,thanks peter.(my misses is determined to get me one) :(sorry stuck it in the wrong place)
I think...for the money, it is pretty good. There are a lot of minor problems that go along with a MV (which from what I gather is one of the better hydro RTRs).

The collet is hard to get the cable into and out of. I think this was a result of them over-fixing a problem the version 1 boats had, in which the cables would come loose while running. The octura collet works pretty good in place of the stock on.

The coupler cooks off pretty often. The fix for this is to use a cooling coil made for the SV27 on the header. This makes them last lots longer.

The mounting blocks in the hull come loose. Prior to running the boat, take everything out of it and put a thin coat of epoxy on the hull around the engine and fuel tank area (to make cleanup easier) and on the wooden blocks to help keep them in place.

Make sure your rudder cannot make contact with the prop. There was a batch that came out where they assembled them with the rudder too close to the strut. Some also came out with part of the rudder bracket hanging below the hull (dragging in the water).

The plastic prop on it cavitates in the turns. Replace it with an octura Y535 at about 3/4 inch depth (bottom of hull to center of stuffing tube where it enters the strut). Prop thrust angle would be flat, to just a hair down.

Start the breakin with the HSN at about 3 turns out. Run two tanks (it probably will not be able to get on plane). Then turn in the HSN an 1/8th turn each tank after that until you get it tuned right. At about 4 tanks you will see it start to come alive, and at about 6 or 7 tanks it is pretty much broken in. HSN will probably wind up at about 2.25 to 2.50 turns out when it is running its best.

Engines don't seem to last very long (about one season), but they are cheap ($85), as are the piston/liner sets (($35?). Of course most of us that race them run them right on the verge of beeing too lean, which shortens their life.

Some elbow grease on the hardware and the prop swap will get you to 30-35 MPH. Not bad for a $280 RTR. A stock SV27 with its OEM plastic prop would hang right in there with them.

As an FYI, the miss bud/lumar are the OLD version of the proboat RTR hydro. The new one is the Formula. The old one came with a .15 engine, the new one .18. So if you chose to go the proboat route, look for the formula, not the miss bud/lumar.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Back