Round Nose - Radio rear box pictures - how did YOU do it?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrett randall

Does anyone have any round nose - rear radio box pictures they are willing to show?

Looking for ideas on how to configure the following set up:

1. Internal pipe, out the transom

2. Rear radio box

3. Third channel...

Just curious how YOU set it up?

Thanks,

Garrett

Does anyone have any round nose - rear radio box pictures they are willing to show?

2. Rear radio box

3. Third channel...

Thanks,

Garrett
Garrett, Send me a e-mail @ [email protected] I'll send a few pics of what I did. Not much luck posting pics on this forum. Glenn

2. Rear radio box

3. Third channel...

Thanks,

Garrett
Garrett, Send me a e-mail @ [email protected] I'll send a few pics of what I did. Not much luck posting pics on this forum. Glenn
can get you a few pic of a 4 inch center with a pipe and radio box. Tight but it works.. What ya building?

Garrett,

Workin on a Scale boat??? super!!!

here's a pic of the Bud, I use a piece of muffler insulator between the pipe and the radio box. It's a thin metalized material that is used on leaf blowers to insulate the muffler from the plastic parts. You can get the material from the lawn equipment supply houses in small sheets. It doesn't take much.

You don't want to wrap the pipe in anything that might change the heat characteristics, you just need a deflector.

good luck

Greg

DSC02917.JPG

2. Rear radio box

3. Third channel...

Thanks,

Garrett
radio box
I used one of the 2 1/2x7 radio boxes I have and cut the engine well out to get more room for the pipe.

I plan to make a new box about 4x6 for the roundnose just to have more room for the radio servos and reciever, & battery.

Just keep the box to the front as much as possible to avoid having to add much weight to the nose.

What boat you building??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Glenn, Mikey, Greg and Phil...

Im "assuming" that all the 3rd channels are remote (detached from the motor), and on the same side as the carb arm...yes?

Like shown in Greg's picture...

It'd be nearly impossible to have a radio box on right, but a 3rd needle on the left side of the motor...RIGHT?

I seem to have the 1/8 scale of the month...there has been a lot of postings about this lately

(and thanks to Dennis for his help, and will probably need to talk to Roger Hooks about the Ram)

Im "assuming" that all the 3rd channels are remote (detached from the motor), and on the same side as the carb arm...yes?

It'd be nearly impossible to have a radio box on right, but a 3rd needle on the left side of the motor...RIGHT?

I seem to have the 1/8 scale of the month...there has been a lot of postings about this lately

(and thanks to Dennis for his help, and will probably need to talk to Roger Hooks about the Ram)
Garrett,

Mike McKnight has done the Ram up for my Gypsy project. I have not seen it yet, but you might send him a PM too. I wish I was at your stage in the game.

Cheers,

Kevin

Yes you have to make it work on the left. The hitec 85mg is a small servo that is strong enoungh for throttle and mix control. Two can be mounted in about the same space as a standard size servo. I use a hitec mg645 for steering.

PHIL

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes you have to make it work on the left. The hitec 85mg is a small servo that is strong enoungh for throttle and mix control. Two can be mounted in about the same space as a standard size servo. I use a hitec mg645 for steering.

PHIL
Gerrett,

What ever side you place the radio box you'll want both throttle and needle pushrods to exit the same side. You don't want pushrods straddling the engine. I use Futaba 3103 metal gear mini servos and mount them together for throttle and needle. I use a Futaba 9206 for steering. Space is a premium in a scale boat, everything must have it's place.

Balance at 90 to 92% of the afterplane, my Bardahl is 92 and the Bud is 90.

That's an awful perty boat you got there!! good job!

gh

I wish I could take credit for the boat...

I bought it used from a mentor of mine from when I was just a kid...

Gary Mueller (for those that know him) built the boat, and that was the main reason I have it.

To me, you run the scale class with a boat that means something to you, the real one or otherwise...

It's a very interesting build...Gary was a master of the unusual at times.

The unfortunate side is this boat was built prior to 3rd channel needles or quiet pipes...hence my need for reconfiguring pictures.

Thanks for all the input...we'll see what comes out of it.

Kevin, thanks for the reminder about Mi McK. I'll give him a shout.

Continued success with your boat...I'll send you any information I have.

Garrett

Wow Garrett! I remember that boat as a kid too! Loudest SOB on the pond! lol. Nice to see more vintage boats like that. My father is close to finishing his "Dollar Bills" round nose. Should be a really fun class this year.

Larry Gempp Jr.

I wish I could take credit for the boat...
I bought it used from a mentor of mine from when I was just a kid...

Gary Mueller (for those that know him) built the boat, and that was the main reason I have it.

To me, you run the scale class with a boat that means something to you, the real one or otherwise...

It's a very interesting build...Gary was a master of the unusual at times.

The unfortunate side is this boat was built prior to 3rd channel needles or quiet pipes...hence my need for reconfiguring pictures.

Thanks for all the input...we'll see what comes out of it.

Kevin, thanks for the reminder about Mi McK. I'll give him a shout.

Continued success with your boat...I'll send you any information I have.

Garrett
Garrett, I don't know how Phil can fit all the pieces into a 7" long box. Mine is 2.5"X8.75"x 2"tall(outside dimentions not including the lip). 1. He must have a cunning mind.

2.He must have small fingers.

3.He must be using a 2/3 AAA hump pack or small lipo.

4.All of the above.

Good Luck, Glenn :)

Back