Riggers from Japan

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re:prehistoric outriggers

pic 4:

I haven't been around for a while. Been busy like crazy with work, sick, and spending most of my spare time working on Hammerhead 2002 version 2. Also catching the World Cup games on TV. Both the teams I was rooting for are out of the tournament now, so I can spend more time on this thread. Way to go America ;D

Hammer

Hammerhead,

Are there any used 21 riggers available in Japan? Do any

hobby shops sell boats ready to run? I find your front

sponsons interesting on your boats.

Any info on 21 riggers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Hammer,

How wide is the front sponson on the bottom at the rear where you have them cut in for the angles.

Mike

To answer your question Mike the one on the turnfin side is 6cm and the one on the right side is 5cm. That is down from 7.4cm of the total width of the sponsons. Both the right and left are 7.4cm at the top of the angle, so the one on the right side is sharper than the left.

Hammer

Hi Mark!

I will answer your question, and it will be very easy. There is only one .21 outrigger on the market in Japan. It is called the .21 Charge

It is 870mm long, and it ways 2.1 kgs with a full fuel tank. It comes in two different packages. One is a full built boat that includes the sponson booms and tunfin+assembly. The second package includes everything except the radio and engine.

Respectively 55,000 yen ( about 470 dollars) and 75,000 yen ( about

630 dollars)respectively

Both boats are made of yellow birch and require painting.

All the parts are meter sizes, so you will have to special order 4mm

props from Octura, ABC, or Prather. They all make them. all you have to do is ask. The coupler from the engine to flex cable is available for any engine to 4mm. I would recommend pitching the strut in the trash and replacing it with an American made one. This will save a lot of headaches later when your flex cable breaks, or something like that.

If you need help ordering it. I will research the shipping and handling with the company and help you order it directly from them, because I don't think they speak English. If you have a credit card and a fax. I think that you will have no problems, if I let them know that they will be having a customer from the states, They will call me when your order comes in, then I will make sure they don't screw it up.

Attached is a pic of it. And I will post a vid of it running too.

Hammer

Hammer,

Do you prefer the sponsons like the new hammerhead with the angle cut in to the sponson or like the ones on the latest picture you just posted. I have the pieces to add to my sponsons but haven't glued them on yet I could still cut the angles in on the sponsons without adding more material. I am about 2" wide right now.

Mike

;)Martin,

I am not to impressed with the Charge 21 but if you know

of any used boats i would be Very Interested. I am looking

for a long boat like you guys run.I am interested in testing

the difference in the handing.I have some turn fin info. that

could help you guys turn a Lot Faster.Plans would be great

if you can get a hold of some.I am going to order some

Syntex to try out on my next boat.

Thanks For Now,

Mark Sholund

[email protected] :)

Mike! To answer your question, you will have to wait until this Sunday. I haven't had a chance to run my new Hammerhead yet. I will give you my thoughts on the sponson matter when I come back from the pond. I think they should be alright, I tried something a little different with the depth in relation to the tub. I want this one to stand up higher off the water than the last CF one did.

Hammer

And for you Mark, No probs. I don't really like the charge either. Some of my buddies use them at the pond, but most people here race boats that they made themselves, If I can find someone who will let go of one of their .21 Hydros, I will let you know. No promises though. The reason most people give up their boats is because they have found a better idea. You sound like you don't want to settle for second best, and I don't blame you. Why don't you create a thread on you turn fin technologies? I would love to have some good turn fin info, and also some syntex info. Carb.com wouldn't send me a picture of it. :'(

Hammer

Hammer,

I really like your new rigger, very nicely done.

I have a idea for a new topic. "Prehistoric outboards" I think you should start it.

Mike! Prehistoric outboards? I'm not so big on outboards. and I don't want grimracer to be jumping all over my butt. To tell you the truth, I like the older types. I used to have a Hot Shot .45 fiberglass version. It was a really fun boat. I don't think it has been in production for a long time. The Villian looks like it would be a fun boat to build. I'm thinking about it, but I have a backlog of projects.

Hammer

Mike P,

I agree this thread needs a new name too, BUT, those outboards aint as prehistoric as you might think! A lot of the things you are doing with your new rigger with composites etc. I have had in my tunnel for years! I find that even though I also race rigger's, the 3.5cc outboard tunnel is the most fun, and definately help's to keep your driving skills up to scratch! They can be a challenge to say the least!

Don't get the impression I am having a shot at you - it's all in fun ;D

Your new rigger looks awesome - can't wait to see it with a cowl on it!

Hammer san, Maybe you can start a thread on Japanese riggers and their differences to the U.S type's.

You know I was just kidding about prehistoric outboards, I would be the last one to have a better idea on tunnels. But it never hurts to think about it. The new topic on whats down the road for RC is a better way to put it.

-Mike

Tim-san! I thought that this thread's purpose was exactly that. I know that the title of this thread is a little offending to all you hot rodders over there, but I was ingnorant to a lot of things about American ways of rigger racing when I first started this thread. It has been a learning experience. Isn't that what this forum is all about. I know it sounded arrogant at the start, but look at all the contributions to this thread dispite that. I don't like the title anymore either, but I don't think that I can change it. Even if I could, it would probably get lost in the shuffle if I did. Also, what would I rename it?

Still waiting to see how your Eagle came out.

Thanks Hammer

Hammer,

I can rename it for you if you like, how about "Riggers from Japan"

Whatever ya want, Or you can start a new one, Its up to you,

Gene ;D

Done, the main title is changed, all the responces stay the same till this one, any responces after this one will have the new title, Glad to help,

Gene ;D

Back