Rear Sponson Shoe Depth

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Rappold

Supporting Member
For the newer 1/8th Unlimited hulls that use the rear sponson shoes (ie Buds, Elam, etc), how deep should these be set? For example the shoes should be "xx" inches higher than the strut.

Do the use of the shoes or a flat bottom strut make more of a difference in how the boat rides through the turns?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Rappold

For the newer 1/8th Unlimited hulls that use the rear sponson shoes (ie Buds, Elam, etc), how deep should these be set? For example the shoes should be "xx" inches higher than the strut.
Do the use of the shoes or a flat bottom strut make more of a difference in how the boat rides through the turns?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Rappold
I set the rear shoes 1/8 inch to 3/32 above the stut. I also set the angles in the rear the same as the front sponsons. Shoe shape and stut angle make a BIG differance in how the hull will react. Have fun with it ,Lets Go racing Doug Shepherd

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.

Mike Rappold
I set the rear shoes 1/8 inch to 3/32 above the stut. I also set the angles in the rear the same as the front sponsons. Shoe shape and stut angle make a BIG differance in how the hull will react. Have fun with it ,Lets Go racing Doug Shepherd
Doug,

Have you been setting boat sides at the same depth or just the left?

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks in advance.

Mike Rappold
Doug,

Have you been setting boat sides at the same depth or just the left?

Thanks,

Mike
The older hulls that had rear shoes were the same lenght and I set them the same depth. The new hulls like the U16,U8,U3,and U1 Bud hulls the inside shoe is .250 (scale size shorter) than the outside but the depths I set the same also. Thanks Doug

Back