radios

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadstoys5

Supporting Member
Hey fellow modelers/boaters help me out. I have a bunch of hulls and I'm finally getting around to running again. I have the Silver JR 3ch radios, the Airtronics M8's etc. I have been using the DX (I think its called) Hi Tec receivers in the gas boats and the airtronics blue receivers in the Nitro stuff. With all the latest stuff going 2.4 ghz what is the hot setup and what do you recommend? I have the following hulls:

Seaducer(s) .21, .45, .67 & .91 Monos (Nitro)

Roadrunner Hydro's .21, .45, .67 & .91 (Nitro)

1/8th Scales (6) all CMB .67's except for one Picco .67

R/C Marine Designs (P/T) Sport 45 CMB Nitro

Stryker Gas Cat BTB 260

Cajun Bullet Gas Hydro Mod 260

Gas Mono's

What should I be doing as far as my approach to radio equipment, batteries, servos etc. I will need to purchase batteries as my Ni-Cad fleet is dead.

I appreciate the feedback guys, thanks, Tom

message me at [email protected]

Like i said on other post you cant go wrong with JR i had futuba had all kinds of problems JR is opnly company to give you a 3 year warranty on everything no questions asked had one friend send some things back 6 years old no questions sent him new stuff. Robert

Are you a stick radio guy like me or a wheel radio man?

If you are a wheel man, the JR's are top of the line. Most of their offerings are feature rich so you can have settings several models saved on the transmitter so with the 2.4 GHZ you only need one transmitter to go with several receivers/boats.

If you are a stick man, the choices are fewer. Airtronics offers the Super EXZES Plus 2 stick computer radio that uses the Spektrum 2.4 GHZ 3 channel transmit module. There is also the Spektrum DX-6 and DX-7 systems. These last two are for airplanes but some of us use them on boats successfully.

If you are getting new equipment, I would think you would want to standardize across the board and be selective with the servos. Battery packs will be driven by amp hour capacities and current draw from your rudder servos. Big heavy fast boats will need more powerful servos that pull more amps so choose accordingly.

If you are like me and forget to turn off a receiver occasionally, you will want to stay with NiCd batteries. Unlike NiMH or LiPO, they are not ruined if you run them down to zero, in fact it is good for them. NiCd's for the transmitters also but for a different reason. When you are inactive over the winter, if you have not prepared your LiPO's or NiMH batteries for long term storage, their capacity will be significantly reduced. NiCd's may be heavier but they are no brainer's.

Hope that helps, Ron D.

if you all ready have an M-8, just get a spektrum module for it and a receiver for each boat, or one for at least as many as you would run at an outting!!, cant beat that set up!!

if you all ready have an M-8, just get a spektrum module for it and a receiver for each boat, or one for at least as many as you would run at an outting!!, cant beat that set up!!
Until your Spektrum controlled boat crashes into the shore. :eek: There have been so many reports of problems with Spektrum in boats that it's not worth even trying to run them. Many of those who had problems said they used them for a while and then suddenly lost control. Others were ok at one pond, but then had all sorts of problems somewhere else. OTOH, the Futaba FASST system works great.

Until your Spektrum controlled boat crashes into the shore. :eek: There have been so many reports of problems with Spektrum in boats that it's not worth even trying to run them. Many of those who had problems said they used them for a while and then suddenly lost control. Others were ok at one pond, but then had all sorts of problems somewhere else. OTOH, the Futaba FASST system works great.
With all the guys switching to 2.4 more good channels are opening up. I used a m-8 for years and thought it was awesome. Then i bought a used Futaba 3pk. Now i have a new 3pk super mines on 27 but you can do any mhz or 2.4. After using this transmitter nothing compares to its feel and easy to use functions........my 2cents

After years of using 27mhz and then switching to 75mhz I went to the world tunnel cahmp race this year and saw a distinct advantage to using the 2.4 system and decided to make the switch before the 75 mhz stuff had no resale value and attendance at the Internats this year proved I made the correct decision it was great to just grab my stuff when ever there was open water and be able torun without having to wait on a freq clip and also to take the radio back to the pits to check a setting with the radio. Super system but after reading all of the problems people had with the specktrum I too made sure I went with the Futaba FASST system works very well as long as you use 6volts for the RX and have the antenna extended up out of the radio box. NO issues.

With all the guys switching to 2.4 more good channels are opening up. I used a m-8 for years and thought it was awesome. Then i bought a used Futaba 3pk. Now i have a new 3pk super mines on 27 but you can do any mhz or 2.4. After using this transmitter nothing compares to its feel and easy to use functions........my 2cents

Back