Race weight

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sport hydro

I tried searching the site with no success. :angry: I am restoring a Dumas 1/8 1974 PAY-N-PAK.(wood Hull) I put all running gear and radio in and found the boat to be about 14-15 lbs.(no fuel) Is this too heavy? :unsure: The radio box is located in front of the engine with two 10 oz tanks located under the deck on each side right behind the motor. CG is right at 1" behind the sponson backs.

I have a scale that weighs exactly 15 lbs. It runs very well and wins it's share of trophys if the driver can keep it upright and my dear friend Al doesn't broadside me. (Ha!Ha!) Good Luck, Perry

Weight is not that much of an issue, it's were the weight is in the hull.
15 pounds sounds about average for an older wood hull, for sure not out of line.

Rick
I remember a long time ago Larry Maglinger had a scale that weighed over 20 pounds,man i hated working the pickup boat. 15 is a good weight but some will tell you its on the heavy side,get it out and run it you will be fine Mikey

I 'ed have to aggre with the 15lb weight.Too light and you be blowing it over alot more..

Thanks for the replies. I thought thats what I read on one of the topics in here, but I wanted to be sure so I could adjust it before final paint goes on.

Seal the hull and throw some paint on it. I don't know of too many boats that are much lighter, and only one or two weighed in at less than 12

The lightest boat I have is an old wood shovelnose at just shy of 13lbs. I have 3 other complete turbine style glass/carbon boats that all range from 15.5 to 17. Even the new boat that I'm finishing is coming in around 15-16 and I tried to build that one lighter....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back