Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Muro

Supporting Member
Hello all my name is Jerry Muro and I have plans from Roger of the Hawaii Kai number 103. I am looking at the plans and I see the hull has some kind of vee at the front according to ther plans but I don't see it in the cut outs can some one please send pictures ot the bottom of this hull. Or if some one can explian how this is formed. Looking for help thank you. Jerry

It is called a spoiler. It was to help keep the boat from blowing over.
I saw it on the Kia at the muesem the guy there said it did not work,not sure id try it on a model. It was a vee that was almost as deep as the sponson and went back 4-5 feet. I thought i took a pic of it but dont see it,i do have a few pics of the boat if you want them send me your email....Mike

Mike,I believe it's the same "spoiler" on the Miss Wayne U-50 sold on eBay 10/3/07 item#250169663825.There is a picture

on the item listing.

Harvey Liberman

Hello all my name is Jerry Muro and I have plans from Roger of the Hawaii Kai number 103. I am looking at the plans and I see the hull has some kind of vee at the front according to ther plans but I don't see it in the cut outs can some one please send pictures ot the bottom of this hull. Or if some one can explian how this is formed. Looking for help thank you. Jerry
Jerry,

The spoiler on the front will help keep the boat from blowing over. I tried it on a round nose that I have that would blow over at top end and it made a big difference. The one that I made has more of a radius than a the straight V wedge. My boat is glass, so all I did was shape the spoiler out of balsa, glue it on the bottom and glass over it to protect the balsa. Light and fairly easy to remove if you decide it is not working.

There are pictures of how they built a spoiler on the real Miss Thriftway restoration website. You will have to look through the archived photos, but there are pictures of how they reconstructed the wedge in the front. There is a link to the site on the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum site.

Latest posts

Back