putting "s" bends in brass tubing.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

How would you recommend putting the bend in the 1/4" drive shaft tube where it passes through the 9/32" tube in the hull of a

Phil Thomas ss21??

I do not want to kink it !

I do not have a bender just a few garage tools.

Thanks guys

Terry

How would you recommend putting the bend in the 1/4" drive shaft tube where it passes through the 9/32" tube in the hull of a Phil Thomas ss21??

I do not want to kink it !

I do not have a bender just a few garage tools.

Thanks guys

Terry
don't even try to bend it, just oil it up and push it through, twisting while pushing. i cut the 1/4 " tube long and flatten the end and bend it over about an inch or so. this gives you something to grab with pliars or vice grip if needed. if you try bending first, it will never line up right and make it harder to install

Just my opinion but never put an S bend in a drive line.This type of bend puts to much drag on the flex cable& engine you'll just rob the engine of RPM=Power, keep it straight as possible from the engine to the underside of hull then make a slight bend to the strut.To make the bend just heat with a torch and make small adjustments to the tube with thed flex cable inside of it.that way no kinking the brass tubing.Shann

Just my opinion but never put an S bend in a drive line.This type of bend puts to much drag on the flex cable& engine you'll just rob the engine of RPM=Power, keep it straight as possible from the engine to the underside of hull then make a slight bend to the strut.To make the bend just heat with a torch and make small adjustments to the tube with thed flex cable inside of it.that way no kinking the brass tubing.Shann
Sorry Shann but that is false. It has been proven that the soft S bend is in fact the lowest in parasitic drag due to it's ability to control flex cable whip. The big man Mr. Rod Geraghty did a bunch of tests on this & other potential power robbing sources in an engine & driveline a few years ago, a real eye opener to say the least. I keep the stuffing tube dead straight from the motor to where it passes thru the hull then a nice long soft S bend to line it up with the strut. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
s bend = less drag. straight from motor then slight bend , then straight through through hull then bend back up till it lines up with strut = s bend

Do you guys have any pics of your drive shaft housing's maybe a link to something in your galleries.

Just a newbie trying to get my mind around it.

How do you put the "S" bend in the 1/4"tubing

Thanks guys

Do you guys have any pics of your drive shaft housing's maybe a link to something in your galleries.
Just a newbie trying to get my mind around it.

How do you put the "S" bend in the 1/4"tubing

Thanks guys
brass tubing can be bent easily with your fingers. for our boat we have a fixture that i made so all the tubes come out the same, but that wouldn't be feasable for 1 boat

terry,

how bout this.. either you mail me the tube and i can put the bend in it for you.. or just pay pal me some money for the tubing and i will bend it for you and ship it to you..

let me know if you want to do it.

chris

I will try a piece or two first and see how that goes.

Thanks for the offer chris...

Terry

Thanks Phil...I got your pm and will try that method when i get a chance.

Terry

I put the 9/32" over the 1/4 od pipe down to where i neede the bend and it bent it very easily.

Peice of cake and now I know..

I usually over think this stuff I find. ;)

thanks

Terry

Back