PT Sport 40- Wings or No Wings?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwb2620

I race a Phil Thomas Sport 40 with the front wings. I use the rear radio box. After many props, strut adjustments, adding/moving/and finally removing all of the weights, it finally runs without blowing off. I ended up increasing the front wing area to double the size to create enough aerodynamic downforce to keep the front of the boat on the water. With this mod I have gained speed, stability, and confidence in driving my boat now without fear of it blowing off the water. :D

So, with that in mind my question is this.....How are some of these boats able to stay on the water without the mod that I did or without the wings entirely?

Thanks,

David

Did you put the flat side on top? If you put it on like an airplane wing it will fly for sure. Perry

Did you put the flat side on top? If you put it on like an airplane wing it will fly for sure. Perry
Yes, I did. I have had this boat for several years. That is the first thing I checked a long time ago. Everything is per the instructions.

Just a side note, the boat has always been ballistic, but when I had to back off the throttle to keep it from kiting, ..........well in a race you can't do that. That is how I would lose positions and eventually the race.

I race a Phil Thomas Sport 40 with the front wings. I use the rear radio box. After many props, strut adjustments, adding/moving/and finally removing all of the weights, it finally runs without blowing off. I ended up increasing the front wing area to double the size to create enough aerodynamic downforce to keep the front of the boat on the water. With this mod I have gained speed, stability, and confidence in driving my boat now without fear of it blowing off the water. :D

So, with that in mind my question is this.....How are some of these boats able to stay on the water without the mod that I did or without the wings entirely?

Thanks,

David
The strut depth and angle and rtr weight have alot to do with the way it rides, but you know that already.

The other big thing is the radio box setup front or rear. Important to keep the rear box close to the engine as possible. The motors we run will get the boat running over 60 and with some gusty winds it will lift the boat just when you dont expect it too. :angry:

That is a good mod to do, adding to the front canard. These boats have a lot of lift and sponson angle so if you have the rear radio some of the weight is behind the balance point and when the fuel goes down the weight transfers more to the rear. I added some flaps to my boat last year and it does real well in the racing. The ones I have were carbon fiber about 1 inch and set at more angle that the canard wings.

The boats with the front radio box tend to be a bit more nose heavy and the fuel tank usually sits near the balance point, as the fuel goes down the weight transfers to the front.

SayMikey had a good mod for his boat too he added air dams in the tunnels on each side of the belly pan, this make the air travel further and also disrupts the air flow under the boat which helps kill some lift.

He had a post about this see page 5 http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=16500&st=40

PHIL THOMAS

Back