PREDATOR OUTRIGGER

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAMBA860

Supporting Member
I JUST BOUGHT A BRAND NEW 80 % FINISHED PREDATOR 60/80 SIZE RIGGER AND HAVE A BRAND NEW PICCO 80 WITH EXHAUST THROTTLE AND VENTURI ON IT. THE BOAT HAS NO REAR SPONSONS ON IT. I'M A LONG TIME MONO GUY AND WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INPUT ON THIS BOAT. THE ONLY THING MISSING FROM IT IS THE TURN FIN.

I JUST BOUGHT A BRAND NEW 80 % FINISHED PREDATOR 60/80 SIZE RIGGER AND HAVE A BRAND NEW PICCO 80 WITH EXHAUST THROTTLE AND VENTURI ON IT. THE BOAT HAS NO REAR SPONSONS ON IT. I'M A LONG TIME MONO GUY AND WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INPUT ON THIS BOAT. THE ONLY THING MISSING FROM IT IS THE TURN FIN.

just a couple things to look at real quik.. get rid of the EXHAUST THROTTLE.. use a regular pipe like a cmb 67/80 big belly pipe.. the exhaust throttle is a PAIN and a waste of time.

your boat will launch better if you put some rear sponsons on the back.. and it will help keep the back end hooked up and not so much HOPPING..

hope i helped.

chris

just a couple things to look at real quik.. get rid of the EXHAUST THROTTLE.. use a regular pipe like a cmb 67/80 big belly pipe.. the exhaust throttle is a PAIN and a waste of time.

your boat will launch better if you put some rear sponsons on the back.. and it will help keep the back end hooked up and not so much HOPPING..

hope i helped.

chris
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ONE OF THESE BOATS OR KNOW WHO MADE THEM?

Is this the black and kinda pink looking boat that came off ebay - thought about bidding on that myself, it's a sharp looking boat !!!

Some of the Cali boys could probably better answer this.. Don Maher?

This boat I believe was built by Mike Dehoog. They were good running boats back in the early 1990's..

Exhaust Throttles on the picco back then was the big thing. I wouldn't change it. It's probably a Don Gardner XXL Exhaust Throttle. I'd think about running a Kalistratov 3rd needle, and probably say start off with a H-30 prop or 1662.. Make sure the needle sounds fat with that Exhaust throttle... Ran many of those myself back in the day..

I remember seeing Al Zaporteza having some fast predator hulls. Some of the guys in Arizona like Ross Klippert also had these. They were good running boats. Not sure how they really stack up against todays boats...

I may be wrong, but the K2000 (KIRK Built Boats) out of District 19 look to be very similar design... I am looking forward to Don Maher or Mark Grimm to chime in on this...

Is this the black and kinda pink looking boat that came off ebay - thought about bidding on that myself, it's a sharp looking boat !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
THATS THE BOAT

This boat I believe was built by Mike Dehoog. They were good running boats back in the early 1990's..

Exhaust Throttles on the picco back then was the big thing. I wouldn't change it. It's probably a Don Gardner XXL Exhaust Throttle. I'd think about running a Kalistratov 3rd needle, and probably say start off with a H-30 prop or 1662.. Make sure the needle sounds fat with that Exhaust throttle... Ran many of those myself back in the day..

I remember seeing Al Zaporteza having some fast predator hulls. Some of the guys in Arizona like Ross Klippert also had these. They were good running boats. Not sure how they really stack up against todays boats...

I may be wrong, but the K2000 (KIRK Built Boats) out of District 19 look to be very similar design... I am looking forward to Don Maher or Mark Grimm to chime in on this...

THE GUY I BOUGHT FROM IS DAVID SARKIN HE USE TO RACE WITH US IN DIST. 19

Yeah, I saw that boat on Ebay. I emailed him on another boat he had for sale. Rare gray imron/epoxy painting of the inside of his hull.. Lenny Blake got me started doing that back in the early 1990's..

David had some nice boats.. That predator hull was a nice hull he had. I'd try to get ahold of maybe Ralph Henry or even Lenny Blake concerning props/setup..

THATS THE BOAT

THE GUY I BOUGHT FROM IS DAVID SARKIN HE USE TO RACE WITH US IN DIST. 19

4-EST,

Wow, that is a real blast from the past. Dave Sarkin had very fast boats, both mono & hydros. If the rigger you bought is a predator, it came two ways. With rear sponsons or without. The one with sponsons had a kickup of about 3/8" in the last 15-16" of the bottom of the tub, with sponsons on the outside.( like a road runner ). The one without sponsons,the bottom is flat to the transom. ( no kickup ).

If you see or hear from Dave, tell him I said hello. I ran the no sponson, no kickup version, with a K&B 67, Octura 1462 cupped & pitched slightly. This combo was very fast in the early to mid 90's. The Predator was indeed build by Mike Dehoog who ( sorry to say ) is no longer boating. :(

Don :)

THANKS DON DO YOU KNOW WHERE I COULD GET A TURN FIN FOR THIS BOAT? DID DEHOOG MAKE THE HARDWARE FOR THIS BOAT?I BOUGHT A COUPLE OF BOATS FROM DAVE HE HAD REAL NICE TOP NOTCH STUFF. THE LAST BOAT I GOT FROM HIM WAS THE TEAM SARRY MTO SPORT 60 THAT RALPH AND HIM TEAM RACED. DAVES REAL BIG INTO AIRPLANES NOW.

4-est,

Mike did not make any hardware that I know of. But if all you need is a turn fin there are several people on I/W who make standerd & custom fins. Mike Hughes in Washington is one ( very nice. )

I remember the team sarry boat, very fast & pretty. You should do very well in sport-60 with it.

Good luck Don :) :) :)

Back