Prather 255 re-work

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duck899

So, what are the mods that seem to work the best on a Prather 255 for a scale hydro? Or, do the most of you just let a prop guru do the work?

I have a few of various pitches none work but I keep trying. I think the diameter is too big for around here

Mike, same here....can't pull them stock at our elevation of 2200'. I can pull a 250 with the CMB and Cmdi pipe at 11.75-12". At the northwest race last year I was pulling a 250 with my Mac in the Miss US. Mac is an rpm engine though and it was fine. The CMB is in the Miss US now. I'm doing up a few props for the northwest race next week so I'll have a few to try..... Just was wondering if guys are back-cutting them a bit and working the blades or what?

Good luck next weekend wish I was there. Started stripping the Squire for a repaint and have a new Scale or 2 to build over the winter...

I had one when I bought my Exide that worked really well. It was reduced about 2-2.5mm in diameter and back cut quite a bit. It worked really well until a little accident that munched it. I did another of course but I haven't been able to reproduce the same results but I have gotten close. Now that I have the proper tools to work a prop I may go back and try it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mike, I use Orlic's pitch gauge and a Hughes prop dinker. I have quite a few Berlyium prather 255's and I have back cut one a small amount. I'm going to reduce another 2 mm as well. I see Bill Brandt has a stainless one for sale but not much you can do with those as they are so hard to work with.

Rob and Mike,

You will find the diameter is the ticket on the 255's.

I would take some of the cup out of the trailing edge first, try 5.00" cup

and cut it down to 57 mm to start with instead of the 61mm

that it comes stock. The S.S. is not to fun to work with the way

they come now from Dave Rippe. The quality has went downhill

in my opinion.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Back