Please post picture of your Mutt I

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

I am building a Mutt I and need to build the cowl from scratch. Just want to have an idea of how it looks and how the cowl is attached to the hull. I would be interested to see how the engine is mounted as well.

Thanks in advance.

Kez

Are you sure it is a Mutt 1? I did not think Mark ever sold plans for that boat. You might be refering to the Mutt 2. Do you have the glass boat or the 3 piece boat?

Mike

I am building a Mutt I and need to build the cowl from scratch. Just want to have an idea of how it looks and how the cowl is attached to the hull. I would be interested to see how the engine is mounted as well.

Thanks in advance.

Kez
If you have an actual Mutt 1 I can send you pictures of one of Mark's original cowls, I still have mine. I retired that boat when the Mutt II came out as the best heat times we ever got out of the Mutt I was in the 1:27 range and Mark ran a 1:15 with the Mutt II. The old boat just was not in the same league as the newer hull. If you don't mind me asking where did you find an Old Mutt I? The last I knew I thought that Shawn W.had the molds for that old thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks in advance.

Kez
If you have an actual Mutt 1 I can send you pictures of one of Mark's original cowls, I still have mine. I retired that boat when the Mutt II came out as the best heat times we ever got out of the Mutt I was in the 1:27 range and Mark ran a 1:15 with the Mutt II. The old boat just was not in the same league as the newer hull. If you don't mind me asking where did you find an Old Mutt I? The last I knew I thought that Shawn W.had the molds for that old thing.
Mike, Eric,

I bought the hull and deck from a member of this forum. I was not sure what I had until I corresponded with Mark. He confirmed that it was a Mutt I.

I have been in the hobby since the 70's but my fastest boat barely breaks 50mph... (or 90mph Ebay speed ;) ). So the 1:27 lap speed is good enough for me.

Eric, if you don't mind, can you either post the pictures or email them to me? I would like to see how you mount the engine and the cowl etc.

Thanks,

Kez

You can see by the photos the motor mount is only partialy there. It was just 3 of the small rubber isolators on each side screwed onto 8x32 studs that are glued into the ramped areas in the bottom of the engine well with 1/8" aluminum plate cut to fit and bolted to the top of the isolators. Then the plate was drilled to fit whatever motor bolt pattern you required. The back of the cowl was just held on using a spring type cabinet latch.

You can see by the photos the motor mount is only partialy there. It was just 3 of the small rubber isolators on each side screwed onto 8x32 studs that are glued into the ramped areas in the bottom of the engine well with 1/8" aluminum plate cut to fit and bolted to the top of the isolators. Then the plate was drilled to fit whatever motor bolt pattern you required. The back of the cowl was just held on using a spring type cabinet latch.
Thanks Eric.

I see that you mounted the radio box up front and stuffed the fuel tanks under the deck. Did you just glue the fuel tanks in place? If the boat flips, how do you prevent water from entering the hull?

Kez

Thanks Eric.

I see that you mounted the radio box up front and stuffed the fuel tanks under the deck. Did you just glue the fuel tanks in place? If the boat flips, how do you prevent water from entering the hull?

Kez

Hmm it sounds like you got a hull that does not have the fuel tank wells installed. When Mark had the molds he also had molds for fuel tank wells that got installed in the boat after the hull and deck were joined. You need to install the radio box in front of the motor on that hull and the tanks need to go as they are in the photo or you will never get the right ride. We also ran a 2 oz sump that sat under the carburator just behind the radio box. The tanks just fit tight into the wells once they were installed they would stay put in most cases if they wanted to move you could wedge a section of fuel line under the tank and that kept them in as the wells were made to fit the tank.

Back