Pictures needed of 89 Circus Circus transom

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Johnson

I am having a new scale built by Phil Thomas and we're needing pictures of the transom from the 89 Circus Circus. Can anybody help with some pics or send me to the right place for some???

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Aaron I have the newton plans of the 89 circus you can use if it will help it's the color sheet

It shows the side view and the top view but the top view is just half, it does show the transom as far as the length and where it stops at the cockpit, I'm not sure if the transom is offset but I imagine it's the same as the side shown.

Well I been looking and the best so far I found is look on newton marine photos on smug mug under hydroplanes there the 1988 photo of circus. Aside from the new sponsons I'm sure the transom didn't change much.Try that out.

There were two hulls used by the Circus Circus team in 1989. The primary was hull #8700 (Newton 158). The key features for 1989 were Jones sponsons, inset transom, short cowling nose and it ran with Jones verticals. The backup hull was #8401 (Newton #146). This hull had Lucero sponsons, flat transom (with small supports for the verticals), a long nose and both Jones and Lucero veticals.

It sounds like you are making the 1989 primary hull. The pictures that David has of the 1988 Circus Circus are of the 8700 hull (inset transom is the key), and are a great resource. I bought a bunch of them and they are great.

Rick

Correct Rick. I covered this a couple of times in the past but it always seems to come up e very couple of years or so when a new group of builds gets going. The 8700 was built with canoe extensions thus giving it the inset transom. Some have argued that the 8401 did too but it did not. It was flat and had small fairings below the wings. The 8401 although it had Lucero verts on it originally it raced with the Jones verts and wing the only time it raced in 1989 in Seattle. The Lucero verts and wing were damaged when the boat crashed in qualifying after a broken rudder in Tri-Cities. I've got pics and video of both.

Latest posts

Back