Phil Thomas T-5 1/8 Scale-Turn Fin Placement

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Jones

Supporting Member
I was a little confused by the instructions. Does the turn fin get aligned w/ the corner of the sponson side (chine) or the outside corner of the ride pad? The ride pad would put the fin pretty far to the inside and it just didn't look like it would be right, but I thought I would ask. There's a portion of the sponson in between these two points. Thanks in advance.

Rich

What mount and turn fin do you have? Tyndall or one of the mounts I had?

The mount must be mounted 90 degrees to the table or the fin will be out of alignment. Placing the fin at the outside edge of the ride pad should be ok. Be sure you drill your mounting hole into the aluminum plate, use a drill for 8-32 tapped holes.

Any one have one setup where did yu put the fin mount?

What mount and turn fin do you have? Tyndall or one of the mounts I had? The mount must be mounted 90 degrees to the table or the fin will be out of alignment. Placing the fin at the outside edge of the ride pad should be ok. Be sure you drill your mounting hole into the aluminum plate, use a drill for 8-32 tapped holes.

I used a Tyndall fin but didn't get a mount from you or from El Zorro. The mount is one that I got off of Tony Jacuzzi that had the angle needed to mount properly. Right now I have it aligned w/ the bottom corner of the sponson side. It is 90 deg to the table, but not aligned w/ the outside of the ride pad. Should I remount it or will it be ok there?

What mount and turn fin do you have? Tyndall or one of the mounts I had? The mount must be mounted 90 degrees to the table or the fin will be out of alignment. Placing the fin at the outside edge of the ride pad should be ok. Be sure you drill your mounting hole into the aluminum plate, use a drill for 8-32 tapped holes.

I used a Tyndall fin but didn't get a mount from you or from El Zorro. The mount is one that I got off of Tony Jacuzzi that had the angle needed to mount properly. Right now I have it aligned w/ the bottom corner of the sponson side. It is 90 deg to the table, but not aligned w/ the outside of the ride pad. Should I remount it or will it be ok there?
OK in that position Usually i would put one as far out as possible too. I have some pictures somewhere of a setup that is working real well. Ryan Hobbys Bud T5 Won a lot of heats and Finals this year to get the top points trophy here in Dist 14. Im sure he has the Tyndall fin on his boat.

PHIL

Cool, thanks Phil.
He has the regular Tyndall fin, i let him use the turn fin Tyndall makes for this boat and he said it worked better......
Hi guys,

Just to let you know that I still keep up with things on here, I thought I would comment on this. The turn fin mounting bracket for Phil's T-5 Bud Scale boat was made from specs that I got from Phil. The part of the bracket that bolts to the rear of the sponson is on a 25 degree angle. After seeing a similar Bud Scale hull from a different manufacturer ( a T-4, I believe ) that Don Ferrette brought over to get a bracket made for, I decided that it looked like the fin needed to be about 1/2" deeper. I haven't heard of any complaints and I'm glad they are working. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was one of the T-5 turn fins that Steve Ball and I put on Olly's round nose Bardahl boat at the Atlanta race in the Spring and he won the Internats with it this year..............way to go, Olly!!!

I believe that I have two T-5 brackets that are cut out and machined but do not have the holes drilled and one fin cut out that is bent but not shaped. With only one good arm I would not be able to finish any of this, but if it could help anyone out, let me know. I'm looking at 1 1/2 to 3 years to get my arm back.

Dick Tyndall

Here is a picture of the Tyndall mount
Phil, do you have any of these brackets right now? I'll take one if you do.
Rich, I might be able to get the the holes drilled in one of the T-5 mounts that I have here................should be interesting trying this with with one arm! Let me know if you are interested. Email me at "[email protected]" .

Dick

I do, but I don't think its one of Dick's and his look a little nicer. Plus, this one's been drilled to death if you know what I mean. It'll work, just would like to have an extra. Sounds like Dick has one w/out holes drilled. I'm going to contact him . I can drill the holes. I certainly don't want him trying to work on that thing w/ one arm. I just wondered if you had one that was ready to go.

The brackets and the turn fin for the T-5 Bud have been taken. I don't have anything else left. I do have a friend who could CNC cut some brackets out for me, which I might do. I might be training my 19 year old son to make some fins, but everyone knows how picky I am! We'll see what happens................

Thanks for everyone's support. The " cripple craftsman "will be back!

Dick Tyndall

The brackets and the turn fin for the T-5 Bud have been taken. I don't have anything else left. I do have a friend who could CNC cut some brackets out for me, which I might do. I might be training my 19 year old son to make some fins, but everyone knows how picky I am! We'll see what happens................Thanks for everyone's support. The " cripple craftsman "will be back!

Dick Tyndall
Take your time and get well,i have enough fins to last awhile. Get that arm well and then you will have to make a lot of fins. Good to see you can type................... Mike

Latest posts

Back