PAINTING SCALE PARTS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark couty

I need to paint my scale parts. Driver figures, steering wheels, dash, exhaust stacks. What type of paint do I use to make them fuel proof ?

Hey Mark - What ever you paint them with, be sure to clean them first. There's usually a little mold release residue on them & it will cause the paint to fish-eye. I'm not sure what it is but it feels like vegetable oil. The resin I use seems to stand up to just about anything so use your favorite. I've sprayed my stuff with everything from paint thinner to Brakleen with no problems. MEK might take 'em out - never tried it. If you come across something that does damage the parts, let me know what it is & I'll replace any ruined pieces free of charge!

Larry

OK Larry, will let you know if I have any problems. I just usually use soap and warm water to clean plastic parts. Any suggestions on what type of paint to use ? I thought of using plastic model car paint with a light follow up coat of automotive clear. I am pretty handy with an air brush, paint gun etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Larry, will let you know if I have any problems. I just usually use soap and warm water to clean plastic parts. Any suggestions on what type of paint to use ? I thought of using plastic model car paint with a light follow up coat of automotive clear. I am pretty handy with an air brush, paint gun etc.
If there is any doubt about the plastic bits start with an adhesion promoter and follow the directions to the letter.

bleche white whitewall tire cleaner works great. grey or red scotch brite pad rinse well with hot water , dry and and paint.

i use like testors or pactra, then a shot of 2 part clear.

Latest posts

Back