painting jig

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Don, here’s the bar I use to paint 1/8 scale boats, no need to build brackets for the motor mount just tighten the 7/16 bolts against the sides of the tub. I do this before I put it on the rack, then put on the 90* ell on and your ready to paint. The neat thing about the rack is you can rotate it with one hand will you paint with other. Note all pipe is black iron pipe

bigjohn

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...tup&cat=0&pos=0

Cool I got my stand last night, I'm going to rig up a plate to bolt into where the moto mount goes similar to what you have. Should work really slick!

Josh-

My gallery

i finally tried the cymbal stand , a buddy of mine got me a sweet deal on a scratched and dented one. It worked out great. It has detents in one of the joints so i can lock into place in any position. Thanks again to all who have put forth information on this.

Tom

Grim, I'd like to see it as well. I've got 5 boats waiting to be primed and painted and I was wondering how I was going to hold these things :unsure: .

I can not find one pic in all my pictures of this.. Sorry.. and at this time the engine stand is in the garage and im now building a new spray booth..

To sum it up it has a rotating plate / finger plate that your typical engine bolts too. Remove that and hang on to that for your next engine build. The top of the stand is going to have a horizontal pivot. You can make up a length of tubing that fits that and using what ever method is best (i made a plate to bold to the engine mount of the boat just like you see here on this thread.. )

I then have an offset bar (allot like your music stand elbow) and the bar slides into the engine stand. You can loosen the head and pivot the boat.. My engine stand has casters on it so I can move the boat if needed.

Dang.. I wish i had a pic.

Good luck

Grim

I generally use a steel rod that will go through the shaft. It's the strongest part of the boat and I can mount it any way I want. Usually with the boat pointing up. Works good with everything except tunnels.

i mounted a motor for a barbacue spit on a board, then mounted that to another board about 12 x 36 with some angle brackets. i moded the spit so it has a 1/4 inch shaft sticking out of it about 2 inches long. i've made a bracket that bolts on where the strut and rudder bracket go on hydro and it mounts to the spit eith a set screw. turns nice and slow so the paint don't run . you just stop it when you want to spray. works great. iv'e painted 67/80 hydro tubs on it with no problems.

Back