painting jig

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_hedlund

Well after having poor results from using coat hangers to hold my boat while priming it. I came up with this. It allows me to paint both side of the boat. I used screws instead of glue because I wanted to take it apart after I’m done. This is 1/12 miss bud and I used 3/4 cpvc but for a 1/8 scale I think 1' pipe should be strong enough to hold it.

painting_jig_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pic, I've had the same idea running through my head to paint my Sport 40. YOu're is pretty much what I had in mind for mine. Thanks!

Josh-

You should look through Don's galleries he has a really good way of supporting a boat during painting, shure he will chip in.

i didn't even notice how Don was holding his boat in his gallery. what is that? It looks like a music stand.

i didn't even notice how Don was holding his boat in his gallery. what is that? It looks like a music stand.
Hey just saw this. What I use is called a double braced cymbal boom stand. It is for hanging a cymbal from the outer areas of a drumset. I think I paid about $30 shipped off Ebay brand new. I made an adapter plate to tie hull in with the stand, typically using motor mount or motor mount bolt holes to secure it. Biggest thing to remember is to anchor the base when you have a boat hull on it as if you're not careful the stand will tip. In my Smokin' Joe's build up thread if you look closely you will see I have mine strapped to a full 5 gallon fuel jug. The neat thing is the boom can be loosened & rotated so you can shoot bottom & top with the majority of your spraying surfaces being flat when you do. This sure beats hanging them by the transom which is ok for primers since if you get a run or sag from paint's weight it's no big deal since you sand down the primer anyway. For laying down the colors & clears this set up is tough to beat. B)

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...album=77&pos=30

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOUBLE-BRACE-BOOM-CYMB...1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, I like the cymbol stand idea!! Thanks for the tip! So, Don you just attached the boat to the stand with the motor mount attachment bolts?

Josh-

Oh, I like the cymbol stand idea!! Thanks for the tip! So, Don you just attached the boat to the stand with the motor mount attachment bolts?

Josh-
Hey Josh-

It depends, on the S/J since the motor mount set up I did bolts thru from underneath I adapted a flat plate to bolt directly to hull. Basically you prime & paint the thru bolt holes a day or two before you bolt the plate on since once countersunk bolts are in place you won't be gettin' paint in there. I have used motor mount with a different plate adapted to that but hanging a large scale hull by those 4 little motor mount rubbers makes me nervous. On the Phil Thomas hull I'm shooting now I'm going to adapt plate to tie into the motor mount holes in tub sidewalls just like how the motor mount bolts in place, will be more secure. ;)

Thanks Don, I'm also painitng a PT Sport 40 that will have a fairly elaborate paint scheme when finished. I sprayed the 1st coat of primer two weeks ago by hanging the hull, and like you mentioned, I had a few runs, a couple big runs. Which is fine because I've sanded most of it off anyway. I'm getting ready for the 2nd coat of primer, which I'm going to sand with 500 grit, I want this coat to lay nicely, so I've been thinking of a better way to hold the boat. I like the cymbol stand idea alot. I have an old mtor mount I could use to secure the boat to the stand. (I might have to get on Evil Bay and start looking for a stand) Thanks for the advice!

Josh-

Check your local music stores & any pawn shops if there are any near you. Musical instruments & related gear are the second largest thing pawned next to jewelry. ;)

Check your local music stores & any pawn shops if there are any near you. Musical instruments & related gear are the second largest thing pawned next to jewelry. ;)
You got that right Don. Bought a guitar stand that still had the tag on it from a local pawn shop here in Cinti for around 8.00 around Xmas time. I imagine they would be reasonable on stuff like the symbol stand as well. Great Idea!

Pawn Shopping is a great idea! I haven't been pawn shopping in years, use to go all the time. I'll check it out! Thanks!

Josh-

Thanks for the information Don. I'll look into that for my 1/8 scale boat. I'm not sure how exactly how it would work in the booth i use. It more of a spray bench. but maybe i still could try that .

thanks again

Well, I went pawn shopping this afternoon. 0 for 3 on any cymbal boom stands. Time to go check out eBay. I hope we don't all start bidding against each other.

Including shipping? I went for a twofer. When I get everything setup for painting, I want to be able to do two boats at once. Including shipping it ended up costing $60.

Another $10 for shipping. The one I picked up has a weighted boom to offset the cymobol weight. It should also help with the boat weight as I can't imagine a stripped down boat hull weighs any more then a cymbol. I hopefully I can start sparying color next week.

Josh-

Another $10 for shipping. The one I picked up has a weighted boom to offset the cymobol weight. It should also help with the boat weight as I can't imagine a stripped down boat hull weighs any more then a cymbol. I hopefully I can start sparying color next week.

Josh-
That weight ain't gonna do squat other than give you something to grab to rotate the boom. Trust me you want your stand anchored. That "stripped down" boat on a fully extended boom will weigh two to three times more than the load that cymbal would place on the stand. B)

Ok cool, planned on anchoring it down anyway! But I've got some 10 lb weights rather then a fuel jug! he-he :)

Josh-

Here's a couple pic's of the stand that I use. That a 70" boat that's on the stand. You can rotate it 360* while your painting. I got the parts at Ace harward for less than $15. If someone wants a drawing of it I can do that.

john

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Back