Os 46 vx-m / .46 size head clearance

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Bodley

Hi All. I have an os 46vxm. Wondering what others have run the head clearance as?

Engine has two shims, manual suggests remove one for sub 40% nitro and keep the two for above 40%.

Clearance with the two shims is about .025”. Removing both drops it to about .017”. Even with two removed seems on the higher side. Just wanted some feedback here. Running 10-25% nitro

Hi All. I have an os 46vxm. Wondering what others have run the head clearance as?

Engine has two shims, manual suggests remove one for sub 40% nitro and keep the two for above 40%.

Clearance with the two shims is about .025”. Removing both drops it to about .017”. Even with two removed seems on the higher side. Just wanted some feedback here. Running 10-25% nitro
Yes that’s high. Especially considering how large the bowl is on the old OS .46. I’d machine it to .008” head clearance myself.

Yes that’s high. Especially considering how large the bowl is on the old OS .46. I’d machine it to .008” head clearance myself.
Hi Jeff. Yeah even with two shims out it seems quite a lot @ .017” . I’ll give it a run without the shims today. Thought i’d check here encase some suggested otherwise and they needed that clearance??Just seemed alot.

My os 21xm outboards without the factory head shim have minimal clearance, and go great

Latest posts

Back