Opinions On Center Of Engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Barnes

I have yet to start building my 88 Miller scale (from Newton's plans). My first build. I have been studing the prints trying to get familiar with the hull and noticed the center of the engine is offset a 1/2" to the left. Since our boats turn right I was going to change the center of the enginea 1/2" to the right to help tranfer the weight. Is this going to be an issue on boat detail, since I have deviated from the original hull design?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to start building my 88 Miller scale (from Newton's plans). My first build. I have been studing the prints trying to get familiar with the hull and noticed the center of the engine is offset a 1/2" to the left. Since our boats turn right I was going to change the center of the enginea 1/2" to the right to help tranfer the weight. Is this going to be an issue on boat detail, since I have deviated from the original hull design?
Not in IMPBA as it won't exceed the 10% allowance. I'm not 100% but I think NAMBA is ok with this also. ;)

Thanks Don. I was looking at some of the photos in the R/C Unlimited site. I noticed some are offset to the left and some are to the right. Don Mocks Atlas is one example of being offset to the right. I talked to Joe Wiebelhaus this morning and he said it wouldn't be a problem mirroring the offset and sponsons. I plan on racing the boat and thought moving the weight might help out in the turns. Thanks again for your input.

I know in RCU's rule book, and I think in all the other rule books as well, mirror imaging is specifically allowed for exactly the reason you bring up.

Back