oiler

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinslip

Can anyone tell me where to get these flex shaft oilers? And what kind of oil do you put in it? Does the oil get into the water?

thanks Norm

you need to ask dr gary turner on IW he cant tell you anything you need to know and sell you some also..

julian

Also Steve Wood, he's on here, one of the best machinists supporting this hobby. He and son Chris have a website, www.woodrcboatracingproducts.com. We've found good quality straight castor oil works very well and does not degrade rubber push rod seals.

Yes it does. There is no way to keep oil inside the stuffing box of a flex drive as it runs down to the lowest point and seals won't work due to the non-smooth cable surface

Hey Norm,

Here is another option. I use a stand pipe soldered to the stuffing tube guide (same size) and reinforced with the firewall/bulkhead. Once you get everything in the drive line set up, remove the flex shaft and drill a small hole through the stuffing tube guide and stuffing tube. Diameter of the hole will determine the flow rate. I have used a mixture of STP and Automatic transmission fluid for years. At the end of a day of running, remove the flex shaft, flush it with WD 40 or similar, then submerge the flax cable in a tub/tube filled with AFT to store flex cable between outongs.

CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks Bob...here's another question for you. I noticed your strut being mounted through the bottom. Is this the normal way? I'm building a gas scale T6 and was planning on mounting it to the transom. Which is better and why?

Thanks Norm

I don't follow any rules. I'm just a solo weekend warrior. There are no clubs anywhere in northern Ontario...I'm just looking for best performance...transom or bottom mount?

Thanks Norm

"I noticed your strut being mounted through the bottom. Is this the normal way?"

Hey Norm,

My boat is 1/8th Scale Nitro and will comply with both NAMBA and IMPBA rules for this class. The Oberto was originally built to comply with IMPBA rules while I was District 3 Scale Director, so it's legal for both organizations.

IMPBA rule on drive dog reads:

"The Drive dog must not extend beyond the transom unless the prototype strut and/or drive did. Photo documentation may be requested for proof by race CD ordistrict scale director."

NAMBA Rule Book for 1/8th Scale reads:

"The propeller drive dog may extend one drive dog length beyond the transom."

"I'm building a gas scale T6 and was planning on mounting it to the transom. Which is better and why?"

I am under the opinion that neither IMPBA nor NAMBA has even preliminary rules in place for Gas Scale. The organization leading the way so fay has been Marty Shellenbarger and the Pacific Northwest Thunderboat Association (www.pnwta.org). In lieu of any other set of rules, I would follow what PNWTA has come up with and not attempt to recreate the wheel. I'm sure there will be many differences of opinions as to what IMPBA and NAMBA Rules should be. I believe in the old K.I.S.S. Principle, and don't much enjoy all the sea lawyering that is bound to occur if this class grows as did all the pain associated with Rules for Classic Thunderboat not many years ago. Quite a Show !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

"I noticed your strut being mounted through the bottom. Is this the normal way?"

Hey Norm,

My boat is 1/8th Scale Nitro and will comply with both NAMBA and IMPBA rules for this class. The Oberto was originally built to comply with IMPBA rules while I was District 3 Scale Director, so it's legal for both organizations.

IMPBA rule on drive dog reads:

"The Drive dog must not extend beyond the transom unless the prototype strut and/or drive did. Photo documentation may be requested for proof by race CD ordistrict scale director."

NAMBA Rule Book for 1/8th Scale reads:

"The propeller drive dog may extend one drive dog length beyond the transom."

"I'm building a gas scale T6 and was planning on mounting it to the transom. Which is better and why?"

I am under the opinion that neither IMPBA nor NAMBA has even preliminary rules in place for Gas Scale. The organization leading the way so fay has been Marty Shellenbarger and the Pacific Northwest Thunderboat Association (www.pnwta.org). In lieu of any other set of rules, I would follow what PNWTA has come up with and not attempt to recreate the wheel. I'm sure there will be many differences of opinions as to what IMPBA and NAMBA Rules should be. I believe in the old K.I.S.S. Principle, and don't much enjoy all the sea lawyering that is bound to occur if this class grows as did all the pain associated with Rules for Classic Thunderboat not many years ago. Quite a Show !!! CHEERS !!! Bob
Bob,good answer on drive dog and struct location.I hope other Gas Scale builders are following the rules shown on the PNWTA website so we can get the same specs on boats that may be raced.

Harvey

Latest posts

Back