Off Topic - Quieting down a compressor ??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Jacuzzi

I have a 20 gallon 5 hp upright oiless compressor in my garage that I use for painting and minor stuff. i have owned it for about 5 years and it seems to be getting louder. i noticed that the intake on the cylinder was a little loose so i tightened that up but is there some way to quiet this thing down. Can I enclose the compressor head without damage or will the generated heat harm the unit. Are there any after market products that will work. Thanks Tony j

Tony,

I have a horizontal oiless under my shop table. If I had any idea they were that loud I would never have bought the thing... Anyhow,

I enclosed mine with 1/2 plywood and stapled r-11 insulation inside the enclosure. this cut down the noise a lot but the last time I had it out from under the table, I noticed that the plastic cover was distorted from the heat.

Good Luck,

Bob the Fool

Bob has the general idea but I would suggest using the heaviest/thickest material that is practical to use to enclose the unit and have air inlet and outlet passages that are baffled or that have a couple of bends in them.........forcing the sound to change direction will absorb energy from the sound waves.........and either on the inlet side or outlet instal a fan wired in with the compressor motor switch, this way, when the comp is running, air is being drawn through the enclosure to assist cooling.

ChrisO B)

Tony, you may need to replace the compressor's muffler. Grainger has several to choose from.

tony,that sounds like a CAMPBELL-HAUSFIELD AIRCOMPRESSOR RIGHT, can you build a small room outside, the same lenght as the compressor, but square (if the compressor is four foot long, make the box 4ft x4ft) and add the vents like chris suggested. i have a 20gallon x 2 hp and a 60 gallon x 7 hp. this happen one time so far, i have a 20' x 40' shed and it is divided into. i forgot i hadthe 7- 60 gallon behind the door that goes in the larger room. when i open the doorand hit the compressor that big boy came on. all i can say is exalac wouldn't havedone a better job. lol so now i don't mind the noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
:eek: I dont like Compressor oilless because big problem valves make crack cause make worse noise so should replace compressor or repair valves every 4 year. B) I use air comprssor with oil last long almost 10 years no problems. Allan

Latest posts

Back