NR Engine Breakin

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Santistevan

I have a couple of NR .12s I need to break in. They are in a twin and so hard to turn over new that it's pretty tough to get both engines running at the same time. I would love to hear your process for breaking motors in. Our water is hard this time of year so no going to the pond. I am considering pulling the plug and dropping some oil in the cylinder and using and electric drill to run them in. The problem is the engines will never get hot enough to expand the pistons to the proper wear point. I could setup a heat gun and try to get the temps close to running temps but before I go through all this I wanted to throw this out!

Thank you,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
David,

If you can preheat the motors with a heat gun or whatever you have, hair dryer works.

Start the engines and heat cycle them with rich needles. I would run about 36 ounces

of fuel thru them and see how they restart? I would not do the drill motor. Once you get

them broken in a little more just keep starting them up and run more fuel thru them. I would

try and get them so that they start easy on the bench before you go to the lake.

This works well for me, others may chime in later? What pipes are you running?

Our water is still open so I am going to break in a new Nova Rossi Mito-12 this way by

Running it on the bench first then go to the water.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

All great advice on how we break in .12

I would break in each motor in a single rigger first as told above an yes bring piston to the bottom of the stroke.when not running.

The video is a rigger I use to break in all my .21 an smaller. Small block motors

Ken

David,

I forgot that this Mito-12 is factory run-in for 20 minutes and it did reach 62,000 RPM

According to the sheet that came with the motor. Never tried a factory pre-ran motor yet?

Should be interesting,

Mark Sholund

One thing to consider is ceramic balls,dont run a ceramic bearing long too rich. It will skid the balls and not help matters. Id wait for soft water and run the engines on bench for 2 tanks on the rich side then put it in the water a few tanks rich but loading the engine Very low water flow.Like .060 orfice

The factory pre-run engines are the holy grail in my opinion.

They just seem to run better and last longer. It is also interesting what a correctly broken in engine feels like.

An experienced modifier/racer/record holder said to me his best running engines were all factory pre-run.

A shame they are not more readily available. I am lucky enough to have a few 35plus tuned pre run engines in the top draw:))

Ron Shaw (Rossi marine usa) should be able to get the factory pre-run marine engines.They are good !! J.
Thanks Jack. Yes, I found out about pre-run Nova engines a couple of years ago and I think I was the first one to order them through Glenn. He asked my permission to open the box to see the extent of break-in and was very impressed. I have since then ordered several pre-run engines. Saves a ton of time and burning fuel. It is a $75 add on charge but as Jack mentioned it is well worth the savings in time and fuel. If anyone is interested I can add these as special orders and have them shipped with my monthly orders. Wait time will be determined as to delivery of my next order so anywhere from 2-3 weeks. If enough interest I will start carrying these in stock.

Ron

I think you could sell as many as you could get , I will be getting 1 after Xmas .

Ty

Sounds great guys. I will add this service on the website to make it easy to select this option for your engines going forward. As far as the MITO Marine Engines go, I already have the marine version of the 21 MITO/M in stock and the 12 MITO/M will be here soon. These engines will have the marine flywheel kits as well. Now, all engines have marine flywheels to eliminate the need to modify car cranks for marine use. Thanks.

Ron

12 MITO/M is it also water cooled? I would like one after xmas also per-run

Thxs
ken

Ken,

As with the older 12 PLUS, the cooling jacket for now is an oversized air cooled version. For use in hydros, this version is working very well. If the 12 class monos were to catch on, due to limited air flow, we would need to re-approach a water cooled design at that time.

Ken,

As with the older 12 PLUS, the cooling jacket for now is an oversized air cooled version. For use in hydros, this version is working very well. If the 12 class monos were to catch on, due to limited air flow, we would need to re-approach a water cooled design at that time.
Coolbeans Ron

I'll still take one.

For now I'm Running this set up OS Max WATER jacket on a Novarossi .12 Rex

Sounds great. The new 12 MITO Marine Engine has now been added to the website pending arrival and updates. I will order some in both pre-run and standard for those that like to break in their own engines. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back