New Here and Would Like to Say Hello

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Barnes

First I would like to say what a great site this is. Joe Wiebelhaus recommended it to me. I'm just getting started into this hobby, thier is alot I have to learn. I have already met alot of nice and helpful people. My goal is to possibly run my boat next spring. I have order some plans from Roger Newton for the 1988 Miller Highlife U-31. I should be recieving them early next week. I have also been trying to accumulate all the hardware before I get started. I order a CMB green head, pipe and some other misc. parts from Ed Mazzola. Ed is local and and has been helping me out alot. I'm sure I will have alot of questions in the future. One question I have to start out with is... what material should I build the jig/fiture? I was told to make sure that everything is flat and level. I was planing on building it with cabinet grade 3/4" plywood. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! I hope you have as much fun as me. There's nothing better than to build your own boat and race it in competition. I've made some good friends over the years. Only advice I'll give is don't cut corners. Boats are like air planes and are not very forgiving. The other thing is that this is a great web sight to exchange ideas with some of the best guys in the world but there are also some cronic complainers who are great guys as well. They just like to complain!!! Don't take them too seriously. have fun

welcome aboard!!!!! you will find a ton of information here...good luck on your project...

Thanks for the welcome. Mike, I have noticed that you have one serious collection of scales. I have been browsing around at some of the photos and I'm very impressed with the boats I have seen. I hope mine comes out half as nice as these boats. Thier is alot of talent on this site. Now I can't wait to get started. I will keep a photo log as I go along. Is thier a membership fee here? I belong to another site that is dedicated to Chevelles and I pay an annual due to help maintain the site. If so where do I send the payment?

Thanks for the welcome. Mike, I have noticed that you have one serious collection of scales. I have been browsing around at some of the photos and I'm very impressed with the boats I have seen. I hope mine comes out half as nice as these boats. Thier is alot of talent on this site. Now I can't wait to get started. I will keep a photo log as I go along. Is thier a membership fee here? I belong to another site that is dedicated to Chevelles and I pay an annual due to help maintain the site. If so where do I send the payment?
Like scales & Chevelles? Well you gotta be o.k. in my book. I'm always buildin' scales & wishin' I had my 70SS LS-6 back........ :huh:

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...um=94&pos=1

Don, I would love to have a 70 LS6. I have friend that has one that has one with 36k miles. He bought from the original owner in 73. That is his retirement investment. I have a mostly original 69 SS 396/325. For those that think rc boats are exspensive, try cars. The price for everything is gone through the roof. I can build a running scale for the cost of a set of tires and wheels.

...... The price for everything is gone through the roof. I can build a running scale for the cost of a set of tires and wheels......
You can thank Barrett-Jackson for that. Ever since they started televising those **** over-priced auctions people seem to think even their P.O.S. SS clones are worth 20K & up. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
One question I have to start out with is... what material should I build the jig/fiture? I was told to make sure that everything is flat and level. I was planing on building it with cabinet grade 3/4" plywood. Thanks.
So are ya'll going to answer Ray's Question? Far as I know a Jig is a dance you do after you've Won a Big Race.

Still trying to figure out the lingo :) . I'm a automotive designer and tend to use terms that we use around here. I could use an answer if anyone can help. Then I will do a jig (dance). Thanks

Still trying to figure out the lingo :) . I'm a automotive designer and tend to use terms that we use around here. I could use an answer if anyone can help. Then I will do a jig (dance). Thanks
No it's not you Ray. I just buy fiberglass and Carbon fiber Hulls and bolt stuff to them. I tried building a shelf once. It didn't turn out too well. So I leave the wood work to those that have the know how. :D

Welcome Ray,

I do all my building on a 1/2 in. glass panel, 2ft.by3ft. Very easy to clean excess glue ect. ( sharp putty knife)

Don :)

Ray-

The one scale that I did that wasn't a 'glass hull used a jig that followed the bottom contour of the hull center section & was squared to allow the inside edges of sponsons to be built squared to the center section framing. Hope this helps. B)

Back