New 1/8 scale U-10 Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcvnd

Supporting Member
Hey Guys,

While I am slowly working on my My Gypsy project, I have started a new build that I will be posting pictures of al la "Don Ferrette" style (style only, not quality!!!) I am making the U-10 and I have just started with mounting the verticals. The hull is from Joe Moceri and it is truly first class. If you are not familar with his hulls, his glass work is amazing and I feel guilty every time I cut or sand into it. Joe provided me with everything right down to sanding drums from my dremel. I have just started an album (link below) and I will be adding to it as I go along. Comments welcome!!!!

Cheers,

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin, Take deep breaths and cut slowly :lol: boat look awsome. keep the pics coming. Enjoy B) B)
Thanks Ray!!!

I added more pics!

Anyone have comments on making the front canard wing actuate with a dedicated servo that is either mixed with the throttle, rudder, or controlled by a gyro?????

Cheers!

Hey Guys,
While I am slowly working on my My Gypsy project, I have started a new build that I will be posting pictures of al la "Don Ferrette" style (style only, not quality!!!) I am making the U-10 and I have just started with mounting the verticals. The hull is from Joe Moceri and it is truly first class. If you are not familar with his hulls, his glass work is amazing and I feel guilty every time I cut or sand into it. Joe provided me with everything right down to sanding drums from my dremel. I have just started an album (link below) and I will be adding to it as I go along. Comments welcome!!!!

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin your build is going great. Were the instructions and pictures helpfull for getting you started. Looks like a surgen cut those openings. ( Steady hand there boy). Keep adding the pictures to your album and if you get in a bind let me know. I found a few more pictures of the U-10 access openings in the top deck that I will send to your email. Good job so far.

Joe

Kevin, Take deep breaths and cut slowly :lol: boat look awsome. keep the pics coming. Enjoy B) B)
Thanks Ray!!!

I added more pics!

Anyone have comments on making the front canard wing actuate with a dedicated servo that is either mixed with the throttle, rudder, or controlled by a gyro?????

Cheers!
Kevin, I think Wesley Ellet went down that road, Wesley Custom Graphics on IW. B)

Kevin your build is going great. Were the instructions and pictures helpfull for getting you started. Looks like a surgen cut those openings. ( Steady hand there boy). Keep adding the pictures to your album and if you get in a bind let me know. I found a few more pictures of the U-10 access openings in the top deck that I will send to your email. Good job so far.

Joe

Thanks Joe!

The instructions were very helpful as were the pictures. I hope I am doing your hull justice. I am using Chris Denslow's pics for reference1 I have a long way to go, but I am having fun!!!!!!

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin, clean the area in the hull of dust and denatured alcohol where the fin support will be glued in. The hull bottom and the support were peel ply manufactured so you wont have to sand to get a good bond. You can tell by a matt or dull finish in the epoxy glass. Hope that makes sence. I did not have that info in the assembly instructions.

Westleys Custom Graphics has the art work for the U-10 Hoss boat. Give him a shout and im sure he will do you a good job. Mine turned out real good.

Joe

Thanks Ray!!!

I added more pics!

Cheers!
Hey Kevin - a few years ago I helped a friend build the "Bubble Bud" w/ r/c canard flaps. Newer hulls w/ full moveable canards will require tougher hardware but the basic idea is the same. We used a rate gyro from a helicopter & an extra battery to run it. With today's batt tech, that might not be needed. He bought a Nautical Commander 3-ch & we used the extra lever to set the neutral position & let the gyro take over from there. It worked great! The gyro would "see" a change in attitude, make a momentary adjustment & then return to neutral. The boat has NEVER been upside-down while gyro was in operation!

Thanks Ray!!!

I added more pics!

Cheers!
Hey Kevin - a few years ago I helped a friend build the "Bubble Bud" w/ r/c canard flaps. Newer hulls w/ full moveable canards will require tougher hardware but the basic idea is the same. We used a rate gyro from a helicopter & an extra battery to run it. With today's batt tech, that might not be needed. He bought a Nautical Commander 3-ch & we used the extra lever to set the neutral position & let the gyro take over from there. It worked great! The gyro would "see" a change in attitude, make a momentary adjustment & then return to neutral. The boat has NEVER been upside-down while gyro was in operation!
Thanks Larry! You just confirmed my thoughts regarding the blow over issue. I think I will give it a go!

Thanks Ray!!!

I added more pics!

Cheers!
Thanks Larry! You just confirmed my thoughts regarding the blow over issue. I think I will give it a go!
Not needed on this hull Kevin,ive seen them in action once setup just run it like you stole it. No bad habits,just bad driver habits....... SWEET setup from Joe,he makes life too easy

Thanks Ray!!!

I added more pics!

Cheers!
Not needed on this hull Kevin,ive seen them in action once setup just run it like you stole it. No bad habits,just bad driver habits....... SWEET setup from Joe,he makes life too easy
You could be right, Mike - there's a lot to be said for the KISS method!

Thanks Ray!!!

I added more pics!

Cheers!
You could be right, Mike - there's a lot to be said for the KISS method!
Good to see you on here Larry i love those motors n drivers mine has given me 2 national concourse champs and one at the NorthWestChamps Happy New Year Mike

Thanks Ray!!!

I added more pics!

Cheers!
I went that rout with one of Joe's boats. The canard was attached to the same servo as the rudder using a flex cable (or aleron cable) that pushed the nose down in a left turn and up in a right turn. Works great if you are by yourself but in race conditions or in very rough water the canard will flip when it comes in contact with a wake or a wave. There is alot more abuse up there at 50 mph plus than you can imagine and it's hard to make the canard strong enough to work.

Added some photos to gallery. This project has taken a bit longer than I anticipated, but will be progressing a little bit better soon. I am not at all happy with how the stuffing box ended up, but I am living with it. There will be some cool additions in the next few weeks that I will post pics of. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys.

Kevin, your boat looks great.I noticed some hardware on the transom that flipped my lid.The wing struct bracket and hold down are beyond description.Where did you get these pieces or did you make them?My Bud T-5 uses the same hardware.I'm ready to send someone a check.Seriously,if they are available,please let me know.

Someone recently put up a picture and post on a scale tubular rudder bracket that would go great with your wing bracket.He said he made it for his own boat.I should have looked him up,but I'm sure you can dig it out.

Brian Schymik,who runs with the Evansville bunch,I believe told me that his Miss Pico has the movable part of the canard connected to the rudder servo.

You need to get your rear end down here and run with us or at least add to the bs.Paul Meyer from Kingsport comes down on occasion with his gassers.Maybe you could hook up with him.He's also listed in the Knoxville Gang.We're running everything from a twin to scales and thunderboats;even a White Heat on occasion.There are about 20 boats out each weekend even in the winter.

Talk to me

Harvey Liberman

Kevin, your boat looks great.I noticed some hardware on the transom that flipped my lid.The wing struct bracket and hold down are beyond description.Where did you get these pieces or did you make them?My Bud T-5 uses the same hardware.I'm ready to send someone a check.Seriously,if they are available,please let me know.Someone recently put up a picture and post on a scale tubular rudder bracket that would go great with your wing bracket.He said he made it for his own boat.I should have looked him up,but I'm sure you can dig it out.

Brian Schymik,who runs with the Evansville bunch,I believe told me that his Miss Pico has the movable part of the canard connected to the rudder servo.

You need to get your rear end down here and run with us or at least add to the bs.Paul Meyer from Kingsport comes down on occasion with his gassers.Maybe you could hook up with him.He's also listed in the Knoxville Gang.We're running everything from a twin to scales and thunderboats;even a White Heat on occasion.There are about 20 boats out each weekend even in the winter.

Talk to me

Harvey Liberman

Hi Harvey,

I wanted to come down for a little show and tell this weekend, but I wanted to get further along so you can pick it over and give me some ideas. I have a couple of those brackets made up and there is a second piece (not pictured) that supports the pipe just like on the Bud. I have to confess that as I do not have my milling machine here, I drew the parts up and had them made. I should have just bought a new mill and that is what I intend to do. Anyway, once I get the whole bracket finished I will email you a pic and we can talk. I have extra hardware to to go with the bracket. About the tubular rudder, well just wait and see..... ;)

Thanks for the post.

Hi Harvey,

Here is the semi finished version with the pipe support portion attached. It still has to be mounted to the hull and it will be offset to line up with the turbine tube. I plan on having the front plate anodized black later when I get all the hardware finalized. The rudder bracket, which is missing its beautiful accompanying rudder, was made by Joe Moceri. I am still fitting it to the hull, but I could resist taking a picture.

Cheers,

Kevin

3313680915_29ec13e667_o.jpg

3314604886_ffeb04f351_o.jpg

Back