Needle help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Ballard

Ok, before iget to the problem keep in mind I am a newbie. Have a picco p.67, muck pipe set at 11 7/8", x460/2 prop on a Phil Thomas bud T5, on 50% nitro. When I get the needle set to make the engine come to the pipe it blows the plug. If I richen the needle it does not come to the pipe. I have tried pipe length from 10 1/4" to where I am at now 1/8" at a time. Stock picco carb... Any suggestions? Strut set at 1 1/8" to bottom with 1/8" angle. When it does come to the pipe it is about mid straightaway. Adjusting the needle in 1/8 turn incraments. Do I need more pipe length? Is that carb just that touchy on needle? Help its get'n exspensive!

1455/3, X455, X457/3, 245 may also work. It sounds like too much prop as the pipe length should be good. Mark will get you going if you order from him. Good luck!!

Brad

Ok, before iget to the problem keep in mind I am a newbie. Have a picco p.67, muck pipe set at 11 7/8", x460/2 prop on a Phil Thomas bud T5, on 50% nitro. When I get the needle set to make the engine come to the pipe it blows the plug. If I richen the needle it does not come to the pipe. I have tried pipe length from 10 1/4" to where I am at now 1/8" at a time. Stock picco carb... Any suggestions? Strut set at 1 1/8" to bottom with 1/8" angle. When it does come to the pipe it is about mid straightaway. Adjusting the needle in 1/8 turn incraments. Do I need more pipe length? Is that carb just that touchy on needle? Help its get'n exspensive!
Is the tear drop shaped spray bar oriented correctly?

opening facing into the engine, not FWD toward carb opening?

Is the tear drop low speed orifice actually opening as the carb barrel opens?

I would also check the bearings, if not just replace them just to be sure they are good.

Does the crank show any scuffing from possibly hitting the case, from prior bad bearings?

Case gasket, make sure it's a good gasket.

Where is the tank in the boat? Could be fuel draw problems, engine could be running lean at full throttle, run large fuel lines and set pipe 12-121/2 get it running consistent then shorten pipe.

Thanks for all the troubleshooting! I have some things to check and look at now... Thanks again fellas! Will let you all know what I find.

A great thing to do would be to find a club near you and most of the members would be glad to help you out. You will find a great bunch of people to help and most will even lend you things to try like a spare prop. Check the club and race sites in the forum.

Brad

Here is what I have found, spray bar is orientated correctly, fule tank is a 16oz. Dubro. The pickup tube and clunk is substantially smaller than the fuel line I am using ( dubro medium ) is what I ordered... Thanks Phil, i would have probably never caught that...Fuel tank is mounted in front of boat. Bearings feel tight and smooth with no play. Have a x457/2 prop on order and I am going to replace the brass tube, line, and drill out the clunk in fuel tank to match the other line outside of tank. Am I headed in the right direction?

Ben,

5/32" tubing is what you want, also I noticed you said "clunk" Rarely do we use clunks in boats. Not saying it won't work, one of my sport-40's is set up with a clunk.

IF your tank in in the boat with the fittings facing aft, you will need to make your pickup in the lower port corner of the tank and the vent in the upper STBD corner of the tank.

A 16oz tank is going to be marginal running a THIRSTY Picco. I think your going to need 20oz at least.

Just my thoughts

Get a durbo 5/32" tube bender and it will come with some soft tubing or contact Ryan or Walt for a custom tank. They have posts in manufacture section. if ordering new tank 20oz would be better or install a 2oz hopper tank. Where are you in the country to try and get hooked up to a local club to help sort things out?

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
located in central Missouri, not really any clubs or guys that run boats or any rc around me for that matter that I know of.

Ben i live in imperial and also am the current stlouis thunderboaters president. You need any help give shout or come run with us always happy to help...

Ben, Give us a shout, I live in Florissant, Mo. I work right off I 70. We can work out a place to run, I have owned Picco P67 motors. I have a Phil Thomas t-5. I have two x457 props in my box. Not to mention a lot of props in that size range. Get together with us and you will have a good time.

Ken

Thanks! Would love to hook up with you guys! Send me a pm with your phone numbers if you don't mind so we can talk and work something out. My work schedule is absolutely nuts, but next couple of weeks looks pretty steady.

Latest posts

Back