Need your help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

Supporting Member
Hi guys,

I have been spending some time rebuilding my U-40 Miss Bardahl and its time for me to make a decision on the paint..

Here is the story

The boat was built by a good friend of mine Mr, Bill Colman of Lacrosse WI in 1991. You can see in the pictures that the kids in his class signed the inside of the boat.. he would have them do that from time to time.. I picked the boat up and had to rebuild the bottom, new sponsons, new keelsons, new engine floor and transom. The boat has some racing rash on it and could stand to use a new paint job...

here is my question...

Should i repaint the boat and remove all the hard work bill put into the boat.. I kind of like the racing history with all the battle scars on the thing.. OR.. do i repaint it and make it look like a brand new boat.. having said this if I do paint it i would only clear the inside and repaint the rest of the boat..

Guys.. i can not decide so im leaving it up to you.. let me know what you think i should do.

ROCK ON

Grimracer

Pics hereU-40 pics

Hi guys,

I have been spending some time rebuilding my U-40 Miss Bardahl and its time for me to make a decision on the paint..

Here is the story

The boat was built by a good friend of mine Mr, Bill Colman of Lacrosse WI in 1991. You can see in the pictures that the kids in his class signed the inside of the boat.. he would have them do that from time to time.. I picked the boat up and had to rebuild the bottom, new sponsons, new keelsons, new engine floor and transom. The boat has some racing rash on it and could stand to use a new paint job...

here is my question...

Should i repaint the boat and remove all the hard work bill put into the boat.. I kind of like the racing history with all the battle scars on the thing.. OR.. do i repaint it and make it look like a brand new boat.. having said this if I do paint it i would only clear the inside and repaint the rest of the boat..

Guys.. i can not decide so im leaving it up to you.. let me know what you think i should do. Grim ol buddy just dunk it in the water,lets RACE.......Mikey

ROCK ON

Grimracer

Pics hereU-40 pics

Hey Grim keep the names inside the boat, clear the inside don't paint it, Those kids worked hard to do the scale paint, restore the outer paint but leave the history in the model, makes it a more intersting conversation piece......... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

Here is the story

here is my question...

Guys.. i can not decide so im leaving it up to you.. let me know what you think i should do.

ROCK ON

Grimracer

Pics hereU-40 pics

Wow Grim thats the same hull I'm doing this winter.....see my pics in my gallery.....The rebuilt full size was at the Seattle museum of flight last year. I took quite a few pics. I've tried with no success to get paint codes from Dixon Smith (owner). Let me know if you find out what they are.....Roger Newton told me they were John Deere Green and yellow......The new rebuilt is a gorgeous green metallic.....

I vote to re-finish the exterior......clean up the interior.....leave the names, etc.

Looks like a nice hull.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike,

Man, I love having Bill Coleman Coach me, What a fun guy to be around. One thing about Bill, He loved seeing his boats win concourses. So, that said, I say Repaint the outside, give the boat another chance to win a concourse. Save those autographs from the class with some clear. And take her to the head of the pack when you get the chance. My two cents. Ken

Please leave the inside alone , just clear it...thats alot of history in that boat and will not affect any concourse judging at all... if you chose then go ahead and give her new life on the outside... just my 2 cents

Thanks guys..

Looks like we should paint the boat. Ken is right, Bill would want this boat up front and thats what i will try to do.

I like the old look too but heck.. i have pictures..

ROCK ON.

I will keep you posted.

Grimracer

Grimster! The battle scars across the nose are also part if her history, plus, it looks pretty cool. It's like a mean old babe that was put away wet, makes you wonder what she was like in her prime:)

Give her CRR.......Clear it, rig it, race it!

Rw

Thanks guys..

Looks like we should paint the boat. Ken is right, Bill would want this boat up front and thats what i will try to do.

I like the old look too but heck.. i have pictures..

ROCK ON.

I will keep you posted.

Grimracer

Hay Grim, One race this summer I didn't have time to clean my 68 Bardahl before concorse. The judges questioned me about how I was able to get my motor to look so realistic as the real one was always greasy from diesel fuel. I just laughed and told them I worked all summer trying to get it to look that way. My point is, battle scars makes an old boat look cool I think. By the way, I did win concourse.

Your telling him this, knowing that you just repainted your own!!! lol, so funny, where are your battle scars?? haha, BIll Loved to win concourses, BUT keep them signatures!!! Ken

Your telling him this, knowing that you just repainted your own!!! lol, so funny, where are your battle scars?? haha, BIll Loved to win concourses, BUT keep them signatures!!! Ken
That's my point! Mine looks all new again. I got nothin to show for my head aches. Before, I could say,"that one is from Kens turn fin, that one is from where I ran under Mikey's prop, that other one is where I ran over Mikey's prop............and cowl.........and motor........and you know what, just re-paint the thing. :ph34r:

I have been on both ends of the battle scars :lol:

Eventually I make it look it new agian.

Take a picture of it before and after if you need to remember the scars.

PHIL

I say leave the boat as it is , the scars are what gives it character.

You will also notice that a battle scarred scale boat is probably the most frieghtening thing in the world to

someone with a prety scale boat ,they will stay as far away from you as possible :lol:

Tim K

You will also notice that a battle scarred scale boat is probably the most frieghtening thing in the world to

someone with a prety scale boat ,they will stay as far away from you as possible :lol:

Tim K

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You have a good point there Tim.

I'd want plenty of daylight between the Bardahl and our Winston Eagle for sure. :)

LOL, haha, too funny, The tree is still split into, but your motor fixed up nicely. lol, your tough on that old roundnose. Its a wonder James let you drive his Dewalt last weekend. haha, Ken

LOL, haha, too funny, The tree is still split into, but your motor fixed up nicely. lol, your tough on that old roundnose. Its a wonder James let you drive his Dewalt last weekend. haha, Ken
I think you got some electrical crap to stock! Is that your boss yelling at you :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: Besides, this is Grim's thread any way!! By the way, I made some improvements to my cocpit and scale motor just get 1 up on that beautiful 70 Bud

Just so you know.. I have sanded down the cowl and have the fin off. Im going to make a new fin (lazer cut) and i might pull a mold off the cowl.. I bet i can get a few pulled out of .060" ABS if needed.. Might not be a bad idea.

Anyway the boat will be very scale and very clean when im done.. Bill would be happy about this..

Im thinking scale masters next year.. Lets go guys.. sounds like fun.

Grim

Back