Need help putting together Roadrunner 20 rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstew0903

I got some used parts from someone and I need help doing setup. I have pics of all of these in my gallery. I put larger pics that can be expanded if you click on the pics for more detail.

First, I have a rudder, strut, flex shaft two turn fins. I still need a motor mount and to make a rear pad to match the other side. My questions are The rudder I got is 6" from top to bottom. It sets back off the transom 2 1/4". I am putting pics in my gallery of it. It does not match the bolt holes on the rear of the tub that were already drilled. I am thinking they had the speedmaster mini hydro rudder on here from looking at hte pictures. Will this rudder work if I make a new mount to bring it closer to the hull? Is it worth the time. I have a mini mill and it doesnt look that complicated to make. Should the rudder need to shorter than 6"? I can probaly shorten that also pretty easily.

Next is the rudder It doesnt look like the speedmasters because it has a brazed brass lower tube on the bottom but is bolts up to the holes fine. They gave me the tube with holes in it a some lead teflon bushing to go in the tube. IS one or the other better to use? I have only dealt with outboards so I dont know much about the flex cable setup. I am assumeing that there is another brass tube that goes between the tube coming out of the engine compartment where it comes out of the tub all the way to the strut. Now is this soldered to the strut or just made to spin with the shaft? Is the a dog that goes on the flex shaft before and after the strut? ( I am assuming this it how it works).

Now the turn fins I have two of them. One I had and the other I got in the bunch of parts. Any tricks to these as far as how much they bend or how many bends in them. The one is stainless and real thin and strong. I can shorten the on part of it and it will be about the same shape. The other is aluminum and need to be sharpened.

I am going to try the Novarossi C21 engine I bought and see how it runs. I am just starting out in the riggers and need something to work on at night. I will probaly get a hotter engine later on. Any tips will be great.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Go ahead and take an inch off the bottom of the rudder, it is not needed. That rudder will work fine, I would get is a little closer to the transom if possible. Do yourself a favor and get a real roadrunner turn fin for the boat, it will turn much better with little adjustment then the ones you have in your pics. dont even bother using the one that was made for an outboard hydro(the one with the long bracket on it). Is that strut the one with the needle bearings in it? It could work, its just really heavy if I remember correctly, speedmaster is the way to go IMHO. Hope this helps you out a little, I have ran two 20 riggers from roadrunner in the past, what version is it? Itll go, fun boats. Setup exactly like the setup sheet from roadrunner says, its pretty close. Hope this helps some.

Larry Jr.

Oh Im sorry, just took another look at your gallery. Use the brass bushing from speedmaster. The lead teflon bushings that go in the strut are ok for some, but I dont like how when you put the shaft in, the bushings rub all the grease off. I would use the brass bushing, it spins freely inside a speedmaster strut, Im not sure about yours, it may. the stuffing tube should slip inside the front of the strut, only about 3/8". I hate to say it but I think that strut you have was designed for a prop "stub" setup, where there was a prop shaft that goes through the strut, then there is a coupler at the end of the flex cable that couples the prop shaft . Thats how Dumas hardware has it setup. I would save some time and get a speedmaster strut and use the brass bushing. slide the stuffing tube into the strut front and your done.

Larry Jr.

Thanks for the help. I will get a speedmaster strut and probaly save some time. Someone pm'ed me and said they have a turn fin for a 20 roadrunner. I will cut an inch of that rudder. I was also going to mill a shorter mounting bracket to putthe rudder closer to the transom. I have some aluminum angle that will work. Thanks again for the help.

jason

Jason,

If you give me a call (813-684-0015) I will try to help you sort out that RR21. Not many pics of the boat posted and the turnfins are not the ones that come with the kit. The rudder you have is for a mono and the motor mount, turnfin and proper set-up instructions I can help you with.

Ralph

Thanks guys for the help.

I got to talk to Ralph for about an hour tonight. What a big help. :D He lives here local and we are going to meet up and see what I need. Now that what I call great support for a product! :) Can't wait to get it on the water. I'll get some pics up of my progress.

Jason

Back