NAMBA Sport 40 Belly Pan Rule

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert Dygert

Guys,

Looking for information on a sport 40 belly pan rule for NAMBA. I couldn't find it in the rule book on line. Any help would be great!!!

Thanks

Bert Dygert

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice to know there is a rule, but it would also be nice if it was written in such a way that you don't need drawings and charts to understand. For example, in the scale boats, the belly pan rule is very simple:

If the prototype boat DOES NOT have a designed in belly pan, the following limits must be followed:

Width no more than X

Length no more than Y

Depth no more than Z

it must not extend low enough that it becomes a running surface

That is simple and to the point, so why not due the same as that for Sport 40 and make it so that you can find it easily in the rules? I looked through the rule book last night and never found that rule section, nor did I see it's location given in the other thread. If someone could tell me where it is in the rule book, it would be nice to know so if I ever start running Sport 40 I will be legal ;)

Bert and Ray,

Bert - the on-line Rule Book is correct. Ray, you are referencing a rule that has been deleted from the NAMBA Rule Book. Belly pan depth was an issue for the 2007 Nationals, but was subsequently changed by membership vote.

The section addressing belly pan depth has been deleted. It used to appear in Table one as "Depth (E)". The current Sport Hydroplane rules in the On Line Rulebook is the most current - Section 20, Page #s 1-4, Revised 2/19/08. There is a minimum tub width for each Sport Class - 21, 40-1 and 40-2,60, and 90. NAMBA allows: "The propellor drive dog may be one drive dog length behind the transom", and requires: " There will be no exposed tuned pipes allowed. Tuned pipes will be covered by a deck, a cowl, or an exhaust shroud. That portion of a tuned pipe which is confined to the engine compartment will be exempt". NAMBA has a minimum boat length of 35"; only IMPBA has a maximum length of 40".

I hope this clarifies for you Bert. CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

The only other rule that covers the belly pan is 20.B.3 Which states that all riding surfaces(drive train and prop not included)in front 50% of hull length. So if you make it really deep (level with sponson pads) you going to have a problem with the rules.

Mike

Class I was for the old side exhaust motors. Sp 40 I has not been run very much in the past 10 yrs. I am not even sure any district is still running the class. The class that we normally run is the Class II.

Mike

Mike,

I need my belly pan to be 7/16" deep to keep the motor as low in the hull as posssible and still be able to slide the starting belt away from the flywheel. There still would be almost 5/8" from the bottom of the belly pan to the sponson riding surfaces.

I thought there was a maximum depth dimension.

Thanks for the input.

Bert Dygert

There use to be a depth rule. Not any more. The funny part about the old rule was it told you exactly where to measure the depth. You take a line from the backs of each sponson and that is where it was measured. My Snake Sp20 did not meet the rule. Was a 1/16th too deep. So I glued 1/4" wide strips of 1/16th ply on the line. Now I met the rule. They are still there today. Too lazy to take them off.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back