My new Henry Velasco 1/8th Scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Stewart

Was at the pond last sunday, when Will Gallagher showed up with my new Velasco 1/8th scale.

I did alot of work on his house.......about an 1/8th scale Velasco hull, hardware, Andy Brown modified

Mac .67 worth of work. Will also offered to build it, an offer I couldn't refuse. I must say Will is as meticulous

and detailed a boat builder as anyone I've seen. The hull is the Velasco heavy lay-up, no stringers what a SWEET hull this is. Great glass work, straight and true and I believe they are even in stock. ;) Any ways we

started it up, threw it in the pond....... WOW this is one nice boat. WE brought it in made a small strut adjustment and it was dialed. I am stoked to say the least. now just need to disassemble it and paint it. Here's a couple pics.

How much is he asking for a bare hull and what's the availabilty.

Is there a list of what boats the hull will make........Thanks,Teddy

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike: It appears from our pictures that you did not install stringers in the boat. I presume that you bolted the engine through the bottom. If this is correct isn't there a twist in the boat? Without stringers I wouldn't think it would be strong enough. Please give us more info on your construction. Many thanks, Perry

Mike: One more question. From your pictures it appears that the carb is under the drivers cockpit without any way to get air to the engine, ie: no air intakes. How do you get air to the carb? Looking forward to your reply, Regards, Perry

Mike: It appears from our pictures that you did not install stringers in the boat. I presume that you bolted the engine through the bottom. If this is correct isn't there a twist in the boat? Without stringers I wouldn't think it would be strong enough. Please give us more info on your construction. Many thanks, Perry

Mike: One more question. From your pictures it appears that the carb is under the drivers cockpit without any way to get air to the engine, ie: no air intakes. How do you get air to the carb? Looking forward to your reply, Regards, Perry
Perry:

I've actually mounted an engine without stringers and there is a plate across the floor that prevents the twist you speak of. Remind me to show you my Sport 42 setup next time I see you. It actually looks like his engine mount is spread well across the tub. As far as air to the carb, that relief hole for the head is sufficient to pack air into the boat for the carb. I actually ran the Velasco boat with my teammate Jimmy Johnson as a U-4 No Name. Here's a photo. The cowl is cut the same way. No problem with air. That's the boat Mike identifies as holding the NAMBA straighline records in Sport 60, Sport X, and Scale as well as the Two Lap record in Sport X and Scale and former holder of the Sport 60 Two Lap record when teammates Don Maher and Mark Grim ran the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hull is Henry's "heavy" lay up and requires no stringers. We epoxied in plywood plate under motor mounts. Hull is very straight and true. I am still working on the cowl mount and plan to drill more holes

for air intake, as well as air out.

Chris and Mike: Many thanks for the info. Chris I would like to look at your setup when we get together next time. Are you going to the Tampa Race? Perry

U-4 Charlie's Girl

U-4 Miss Tri-Cities

Mike I won one of Henry Hulls at our Gran Prix in Fremont..Yes it a verry nice hull..It still in the box untouch, can't decide on what boat to build yet..I just might order one on the new cowling he making for this hull...

Chris and Mike: Many thanks for the info. Chris I would like to look at your setup when we get together next time. Are you going to the Tampa Race? Perry

U-4 Charlie's Girl

U-4 Miss Tri-Cities
Unfortunately I will be out of town that weekend. I'm pretty sure I will be at the Brandon race.

Chris: Sorry you will not be at the Tampa Race. I sure would like to see that boat. Also it should be a VERY interesting meeting. Perry

I bought one of henry's lightweight layups for 1/8th electric, I got the new olympia/80 bud back up cowls and it is absolutely gorgeous, I plan to just add carbon fiber angle all the way up and some cross members to support the weight of the batts... it is way lighter then my scratchbuilt bud I built last year (80 griffon bud)

I have to get busy the nats are in a little over a month...................

Henry is a great guy to order from and no disappointments..........

Back