My First Scale - 1968 Bardahl

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Barnes

I attended a race yesterday and as soon as I walked in the race area a friend of mine calls me over. There sat a scale 68 Bardahl for sale. I wasn't planning on buying a boat,I'm in the proccess of building my first scale. Well everyone was telling me that the price was to good to pass up. I bought it. This is my first boat. It came with an Airtronics AM radio and hardware. All it needs is a CMB greenhead, muffler and batteries. I'm not familiar with style boat, so if anyone could give any opinions on what they see that can be changed to make the boat more correct or handle better please let me know. A few things that I noticed is that the fake engine seems to sit to high. I think it sits high to clear the head of the CMB. Should thier be a cover that fits over the opening around the engine. The previous owner raised the bottom of the sponsons. I'm not sure if this helps or maybe thier is a way to move some of the insides around to get better balance. This is a glass hull and the addition pads on the sponsons were added using foam core and plywood. I could probably remove them without doing damage to the original riding surface. There are a number of other things I have concerns about, but not sure if I would be wasting my time addressing them. So please fire away on the opinions. Some pictures are in my photo gallery. Thanks

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=643

Last edited by a moderator:
I attended a race yesterday and as soon as I walked in the race area a friend of mine calls me over. There sat a scale 68 Bardahl for sale. I wasn't planning on buying a boat,I'm in the proccess of building my first scale. Well everyone was telling me that the price was to good to pass up. I bought it. This is my first boat. It came with an Airtronics AM radio and hardware. All it needs is a CMB greenhead, muffler and batteries. I'm not familiar with style boat, so if anyone could give any opinions on what they see that can be changed to make the boat more correct or handle better please let me know. A few things that I noticed is that the fake engine seems to sit to high. I think it sits high to clear the head of the CMB. Should thier be a cover that fits over the opening around the engine. The previous owner raised the bottom of the sponsons. I'm not sure if this helps or maybe thier is a way to move some of the insides around to get better balance. This is a glass hull and the addition pads on the sponsons were added using foam core and plywood. I could probably remove them without doing damage to the original riding surface. There are a number of other things I have concerns about, but not sure if I would be wasting my time addressing them. So please fire away on the opinions. Some pictures are in my photo gallery. Thanks

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=643
As you can see, I have a similar boat. I'm still working out some buggs in mine but I really like it. Looks to me like you have a pretty good setup. I would maby move the motor forward some or at least get alot of lead for the nose. The problem with these boats are that they trap ALOT of air under that big spoon and it's hard to keep them down. The strut needs to be deep as well . Have Fun!

I was told the strut needs to come forward and angled back about 5 degrees and angled in about 7 degrees. I will take your advice and drop it down also. I did look under the hull and it does look like thier is some lead up there already. How does the sponson height look? He added about 3/4' to the bottoms and rounded the outer left hand edge.Does yours have belly pan to lower the engine in the hull?Thanks

I was told the strut needs to come forward and angled back about 5 degrees and angled in about 7 degrees. I will take your advice and drop it down also. I did look under the hull and it does look like thier is some lead up there already. How does the sponson height look? He added about 3/4' to the bottoms and rounded the outer left hand edge.Does yours have belly pan to lower the engine in the hull?Thanks
I could tell you this and that about my boat and it may be totally wrong about yours. I would ask the owner why he was changing the sponson bottoms before I would change much. I do know that the belly pan likes to be level. Take off the prop and turn fin and set it on a flat surface. Adjust the strut till the bottom of the boat is flat or a little negative. That would be a good starting point. If you don't have enough strut depth then you might want to consider removing the pads. My hull is a Phil Thomas hull. I cut out the belly some to get the CMB lower but unless you are going to set the motor forward, I wouldn't mess with it.

I could tell you this and that about my boat and it may be totally wrong about yours. I would ask the owner why he was changing the sponson bottoms before I would change much. I do know that the belly pan likes to be level. Take off the prop and turn fin and set it on a flat surface. Adjust the strut till the bottom of the boat is flat or a little negative. That would be a good starting point. If you don't have enough strut depth then you might want to consider removing the pads. My hull is a Phil Thomas hull. I cut out the belly some to get the CMB lower but unless you are going to set the motor forward, I wouldn't mess with it.
SWEET LOOKING BOAT why dont you get it out and run it before any adjustments? If it has problems get the widest legal strut a Tyndall fin and start with a 1457 . I bet it will be fine almost as it sets......Mikey (fellow rounder)

Thanks, I wish I could take credit for the build but can't. You're your probably right I should run it and make changes from thier. He might already have it set up pretty good. I have a new CMB on the bench and also Tyndall scale fin I could try. Thanks for the input.

Looks very nice. I run the same boat (scratch built) and have had great success. Mine has narrow sponsons and shallow...rarely ever blows off. You definately don't want wide pads on a round nose....for any boat in my opinion.

Looks good...run it before you make any changes.

Brian

Thanks, I wish I could take credit for the build but can't. You're your probably right I should run it and make changes from thier. He might already have it set up pretty good. I have a new CMB on the bench and also Tyndall scale fin I could try. Thanks for the input.
I had Dick make me a special fin for mine and it turns much better. If you have problems turning call him and tell him you want one like mine.

Looks like it already has a bow spoiler installed. Maybe someone already solved he blowing over issue. Like they say, I would run it first then make adjustments. The greenhead is the way to go.

Good Luck!

Back