Mutt II - radio box and cowl mounting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Stein

Starting to work on my glass Mutt and thought I would see what kind of ideas there are for mounting the radio box and cowl. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Started thinking about the radio box and as usual I think what i have come up with is probably overkill. Would prefer not to bolt thru the bottom of the hull as I like to be able to easily remove the box ( makes it easier to work around issues) and helps reduce the water box effect.

Thanks

Here is how I do the radio box. Epoxy a block to the bottom of the hull and epoxy "tabs" on the radio box, then drill through then install threaded inserts in the block for 4/40 screws. This is my most recent glass/wood build, but it's the same as what I do on the glass boats.

I use pins in the front of the cowl and rare earth magnets at the back.

If you need any more pictures I can pull one of my glass boats out and get you what you need.

Here is how I do the radio box. Epoxy a block to the bottom of the hull and epoxy "tabs" on the radio box, then drill through then install threaded inserts in the block for 4/40 screws. This is my most recent glass/wood build, but it's the same as what I do on the glass boats.

I use pins in the front of the cowl and rare earth magnets at the back.

If you need any more pictures I can pull one of my glass boats out and get you what you need.
Where did you get the magnets?

I have gotten them from Galaxy Hobbies as well as a few sellers on Ebay.

Mark

I glue a block to the front of the box at the bottom edge, then glue a block to the iside of the boat for it to hook under. On the back I glue a piece of aluminum angle to the back of the box and come up through the bottom of the boat with 8/32 button head bolts to hold the box in. The hook front with a rear mount like Kelly uses would also work if you don't want to come through the bottom. On my boats I have used a pin glued into the transom that comes up through a hole in the cowl. I attach an o-ring to the out side of the transom. After the cowl is down over the pins the o-rings are hooked over the pins. On the front I mount two pins Like kelly showed.

Mark

I ended making fiberglass angle mounting toward the bottom of the radio box at the front and rear. Cut hardwood blocks installed the threaded inserts and epoxied to the floor. Front block is contoured to match the curve in the hull. Much easier than what I had designed.

Now on to engine rail and engine install

Thanks again for the ideas

pics in my gallery

Last edited by a moderator:
Back