MTO Scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Betke

Supporting Member
I have a 1/8 scale MTO round nose that I am trying to get set up. The boat came with no engine rails in it and I am in the process of building up the engine compartment from scratch. I have no set up directions for this boat and was wondering what the dimension from the transom to the center line of the motor is supposed to be on this hull.

Other things I was wondering about for the future is the strut depth and what type of turn fin works the best on these hulls. Are you guys using a straight wedge or a rolled fin on these hulls.

Thanks

Contact Mark Williamson at tchobbys.com (760)721-1089 he has molds and set-up info for MTO .

Just read another post looks like alota guys are mad at him, don't want to give you bad advice.

MikeI have the set-up sheet that comes with the hull. Hopefully will see you Thursday!
Tom,

I have the set-up sheet too, but it is for a boat that already has engine rails in it so all you would have to do is screw your motor mount to it. I was hoping that someone could just tape measure from the transom to the center of the motor so I knew I was in the ball park of what the boat was intended to be. I have my own mounting system figured out, I just want to make sure I'm not changing the balance to much from what the factory intended.

I'll try and make it Thursday.

MikeI have the set-up sheet that comes with the hull. Hopefully will see you Thursday!
Tom,

I have the set-up sheet too, but it is for a boat that already has engine rails in it so all you would have to do is screw your motor mount to it. I was hoping that someone could just tape measure from the transom to the center of the motor so I knew I was in the ball park of what the boat was intended to be. I have my own mounting system figured out, I just want to make sure I'm not changing the balance to much from what the factory intended.

I'll try and make it Thursday.
I ran a picco all the way forward as i culd get it

MIke , run the motor forward leaving enough room to get you finger over the carb inlet under the front deck. run a flat big wide and deep turn fin 20 degrees rake and 20 degrees tilt under. longest speedmaster ruder you can get ( file the bottom 1/2 inch leading edge flat 30thou for drag, which will hold the nose down at high speeds) jensen just came out with a thunder boat strut thats thicker, get that one as the mto like the strut 1 3/4 deep from the top of the oil hole to the bottom of the hull. the other ones bend or twist from time to time hangin out that far. huge air dam under the frount , strip of lead across the front under the air dam,and at 10:00 position bolted to the left non trip. ( hard to get in there but can be done. flat 16 ounce tank infrount of engine and 4 oz. next to carb. radio box forward but next to pipe. these are really a fun boat to drive as they dance around the track insteed of just going around the track. you have to throttle it alot to keep from spilling it. these are easy repair simple boats, prather 255 or mod 260 works best for me. get ur done.

MIke , run the motor forward leaving enough room to get you finger over the carb inlet under the front deck. run a flat big wide and deep turn fin 20 degrees rake and 20 degrees tilt under. longest speedmaster ruder you can get ( file the bottom 1/2 inch leading edge flat 30thou for drag, which will hold the nose down at high speeds) jensen just came out with a thunder boat strut thats thicker, get that one as the mto like the strut 1 3/4 deep from the top of the oil hole to the bottom of the hull. the other ones bend or twist from time to time hangin out that far. huge air dam under the frount , strip of lead across the front under the air dam,and at 10:00 position bolted to the left non trip. ( hard to get in there but can be done. flat 16 ounce tank infrount of engine and 4 oz. next to carb. radio box forward but next to pipe. these are really a fun boat to drive as they dance around the track insteed of just going around the track. you have to throttle it alot to keep from spilling it. these are easy repair simple boats, prather 255 or mod 260 works best for me. get ur done.
Thanks for the info Gene. My setup will be a little different because I have the radio box up front. It is under the deck far enough so that I can still move the motor up as far as you described. The fuel tank fits on the the side next to the motor.

Mike,

Here is a picture of Doug DeWitte's St. Regis and Tony Rhodes's Burien MTOs a few years ago. CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

I think Doug used to run a 14 series 3blade, didn't pay any attention then cause I wasn't going to run Scale. I doubt it was stock, he had two great prop guys in his corner, Mark Grimm and Don Maher. Boat sure ran fast and handled great except for a few blow-offs at Mach 3 into the wind. Rudy

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Doug used to run a 14 series 3blade, didn't pay any attention then cause I wasn't going to run Scale. I doubt it was stock, he had two great prop guys in his corner, Mark Grimm and Don Maher. Boat sure ran fast and handled great except for a few blow-offs at Mach 3 into the wind. Rudy
Yep, Doug ran a1457/3 that was pitched up & tweeked here and there :p

Don :)

I watched that boat with amazement at the NAMBA 99 Nats. It flew and was on rails. I asked Doug the motor was worked by Mark Grim. But I do remember him saying something to the effect it had 16 oz of lead in it. I could be wrong with the amount but I know it was alot. It didn't matter the boat was so fast no one could catch him. Matter of fact I saw him lap the field. Great boat once set up right. Jerry

Back