Moveable Canards - Examples / ideas please

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Jacuzzi

Hello:

I am looking for some pictures or ideas on how scale builders are making their canards adjustable. I have included a picture from a D2 hull that shows a turnbuckle style setup. Are there any other methods out here.. Thanks Tony J

Tony,

I have incorporated moveable canard flaps on my Circus. Each canard flap has a hollow shaft through it which enters the nose. On the inside of the sponson, the area where the canard flap will pivot from, I have put a plywood doubler. I drilled a hole 1/8" deep and inserted a piece of PVC tube to act as a bushing. In the nose (since my radio box is up there), I have a solid shaft to tie each of the canard flaps too and on this shaft I have connected a push rod arm. This is connected to the opposite side of the steering servo arm so that when the boat is running down the straight aways, the degree of flap inclination will be greater creating more downforce on the nose and when I turn, the flaps will level out creating less downforce on the nose. I thought of connecting it this way because it is one less thing I have to worry about when racing. ;) I am sure it will take a bunch of testing and fine tuning to get it right but after all, that is half the fun! I will be running scale in D2 this year as well. B)

Dave

Hello Tony .

Several years ago in the Radio Control Boat Modeller magagazine there was a article about the build of a Circus Circus where 2 members decided to build this boat . After a short discussion 1 continued as a Circus Circus and the other as a slightly different boat and it included a side article about installing the canards . I believe that the Circus Circus boat was on the cover .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Hello Tony . Several years ago in the Radio Control Boat Modeller magagazine there was a article about the build of a Circus Circus where 2 members decided to build this boat . After a short discussion 1 continued as a Circus Circus and the other as a slightly different boat and it included a side article about installing the canards . I believe that the Circus Circus boat was on the cover .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia
Yes, I read that article. And I tried it on the very same Dumas Circus. It worked on the bench and leaked like heck in the water. The concept was to have a brass tube that acted as a pivot that ran inside larger diameter tubes which acted like sleeves. There was a sleeve in each sponson, and a sleeve on each side of the nose with the pivot tube running inside. In the center I drilled a hole and soldered in a 4-40 rod with a ball link on the end which attached to the servo. Simple but it leaked, I even tried some marine grease between the sleeve and the pivot but water still got in. I got frustrated... got rid of the boat.

Latest posts

Back