Mounting Vert/Hor wings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOTTI

Questions about mounting

Were the Hor and the Vert connect are you guys using a spacer (nylon washer)? Some scales look like there is a spacer in between the wings.

I am planning to use nylon screws to mount the vert wings to the hull. I have aluminum tabs that extend out of the hull. At my local Hobby Store they don't have the nylon nuts, just the screws. Should I use regular steel nuts? Or will this strip the nylon screws? Is this the cleanest setup? I have the 8/32 nylon screws. I guess I could look on Towers web site for a nylon screw set.

How do you mount the upright supports to the vert wings. I have a set of instructions that say to make an eye loop in the pushrod and to use a screw to mount it. Is there enough there for the srew to "bit into"? These are fiberglass foam cored wings. What other options are there?

Thanks in advance.

Tap the aluminum tabs of you wing mounts to the same thread size as the screws but I would use 6-32's, you want the wings to come off with minimal damage in a blowover. Likewise for the support rods, minimal "bite" to keep them in place if you choose to do it that way. ;)

Tap the aluminum tabs of you wing mounts to the same thread size as the screws but I would use 6-32's, you want the wings to come off with minimal damage in a blowover. Likewise for the support rods, minimal "bite" to keep them in place if you choose to do it that way. ;)
Most hardware stores have a variety of nylon bolts and nuts. I purchase mine at either home depot or Lowes. If you're careful you can use brass inserts in the end of the horizontal wing as long as there is wood in the end to tap into.

Gotti I think you bought one of my wing sets, not sure but here is a tip for the mounting screws.

You guys puzzle me sometimes, give you a proven setup and pictures and screw numbers. and you still have to go and make a simple thing harder than it is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 6-32 nylon screws will be strong enough. I would use steel 4-40 for the struts and the Horizontal mounting.

If you are concerned about the screws pulling thry the foam core wings, drill a hole in one side of the wing and fill it with epoxy, let that setup and then drill the hole agian thru the epoxy plug. you can do this for all the mounting screws too but those foam core wings I make are really strong. They wont break if the boat blows over. You are just used to seeing some other crappy wings breaking I guess.

I could actually use my rear wing for a launching handle the way I mount them to the boat.

PHIL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back