Motor mount set ups

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
Ive seen some scale boats use 2 lord mounts per side on the rail and some use 3 per side....why and what durometer do most of you good folks use? This will be for my paynpak which is going to be a HEAVY boat!! Thanks, Bill

Ive seen some scale boats use 2 lord mounts per side on the rail and some use 3 per side....why and what durometer do most of you good folks use? This will be for my paynpak which is going to be a HEAVY boat!! Thanks, Bill
My Elam has a Aeromarine Mount 3 rubbers on each side with a sleeve to help support them. I prefer this setup in a scale as your going to twist everything hard when coming from a slow plane to the start. It also is easy on the brass driveline tube.......

Last edited by a moderator:
My Elam has a Aeromarine Mount 3 rubbers on each side with a sleeve to help support them. I prefer this setup in a scale as your going to twist everything hard when coming from a slow plane to the start. It also is easy on the brass driveline tube.......
Mikey, where do you get the rubber mounts themselves from?

Hi Bill, I used a R.P.M. 3 rubber mount in my PayNPak- fairley stiff and heavy. Milled some 1/4 inch slots in rails to lighten it up. Used Mike Hughes bottom mounts in my Velasco hull(3 rubbers per side). Lighter but very flexable. Good Luck, Glenn

I know rubber mounts are suppose to reduce noise by reducing vibrations, but I have not had much luck with them. I had an Octura rubber mount on my Skater .67 and the engine moved way too much, so I converted it to a solid mount. I have a .40 mono with a solid mount and that seems to work good too. This winter I will be building a Whiplash 20 or 40, would I be making a big mistake using a solid mount on a Whiplash?

My heli is also a solid mount.

Thanks.

I know rubber mounts are suppose to reduce noise by reducing vibrations, but I have not had much luck with them. I had an Octura rubber mount on my Skater .67 and the engine moved way too much, so I converted it to a solid mount. I have a .40 mono with a solid mount and that seems to work good too. This winter I will be building a Whiplash 20 or 40, would I be making a big mistake using a solid mount on a Whiplash?

Thanks.
A solid mount will shake a wood boat to death and create tons of noise.

Thanks.
I just gotta throw my 2 cents in on this one...Though you really should use a rubber mount in your whiplash, mainly because its what the boat is set up for (just built one) if a wood boat is properly built, it can handle a solid motor mount, its just noisier...remember that rubber mounts dont eliminate noise and vibration, they just reduce it..i have several old wood hydros that are 20 plus years old that are still in fine shape with solid mounts. I absolutly would run a rubber mount in any glass boat as fiberglass resonates vibration and sound much worse than wood...although my Miss Vegas comes with solid mounts. kinda makes ya wonder dont it? I will tell you that ANYTHING that you can do to reduce noise is good for model boating!! Last but not least, if you are having problems with the motor moving around you can get rubber mounts with a higher durometer rating (stiffer) but at the minor cost of more noise and vibration...

Blackout

When you say the engine moved way too much what problems did you encounter?

My sport 40 motor jumps all over the place at idle. It has 4 octura small isolators, and i have never seen a problem. I have been using them for 10 years. On a 67 i would use four of the large ones.

One thing that I do is build my own mounts and try to get the rear isolators behind the flywheel so the belt does not pull up on the motor as much.

BlackoutWhen you say the engine moved way too much what problems did you encounter?

My sport 40 motor jumps all over the place at idle. It has 4 octura small isolators, and i have never seen a problem. I have been using them for 10 years. On a 67 i would use four of the large ones.

One thing that I do is build my own mounts and try to get the rear isolators behind the flywheel so the belt does not pull up on the motor as much.
The main problem was when starting the engine. The engine would physically move up when pulling upward on the starter and it was hard to keep everything aligned so that the belt wouldn't slip. I see your point that the mount could be designed better.

Thanks.
I just gotta throw my 2 cents in on this one...Though you really should use a rubber mount in your whiplash, mainly because its what the boat is set up for (just built one) if a wood boat is properly built, it can handle a solid motor mount, its just noisier...remember that rubber mounts dont eliminate noise and vibration, they just reduce it..i have several old wood hydros that are 20 plus years old that are still in fine shape with solid mounts. I absolutly would run a rubber mount in any glass boat as fiberglass resonates vibration and sound much worse than wood...although my Miss Vegas comes with solid mounts. kinda makes ya wonder dont it? I will tell you that ANYTHING that you can do to reduce noise is good for model boating!! Last but not least, if you are having problems with the motor moving around you can get rubber mounts with a higher durometer rating (stiffer) but at the minor cost of more noise and vibration...
O.K. Bill, Since you got your got your 2 cents in I'll give you mine too. On my Pay N Pak the R.P.M. mounts are pretty stiff and the brass tube is supported and reinforced with a couple pieces of .060 carbon fibre at the front of the radio box(1" aft of the collet). On my Velasco hull with the more flexable Mike Hughes mounts I placed a support for the brass tube 5/8" aft of the collet( I was concerned with the amount of movement). Anyone on this forum actually have a durometer tester? I know o-rings come in different duro ratings. R.C. rubber mounts?

Thanks.
O.K. Bill, Since you got your got your 2 cents in I'll give you mine too. On my Pay N Pak the R.P.M. mounts are pretty stiff and the brass tube is supported and reinforced with a couple pieces of .060 carbon fibre at the front of the radio box(1" aft of the collet). On my Velasco hull with the more flexable Mike Hughes mounts I placed a support for the brass tube 5/8" aft of the collet( I was concerned with the amount of movement). Anyone on this forum actually have a durometer tester? I know o-rings come in different duro ratings. R.C. rubber mounts?
Hi Glenn, I believe octura used to offer rubber mounts of various stiffness....also possibly Mcmaster Carr....To tell you the truth, i dont remember ever having any problems with rubber mounts as i simply used whatever came with the mount... i am going to use 3 per side on my pak though...im pretty sure that the mounts that we use for our rc boats were not designed specifically for them....they are used for all kinds of vibration dampening and we just adopted them for our use.

P.S I put the bottom on the pak, now i get to start working on the top side!! Thanks, Bill

Back