Modelling Turbine Exhaust tubes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobGutsell

Hi Guys

I'm rebuilding an '89 cellular 1. It has lost it's turbine exhaust tube somehwere along the line. What methods do you guys use for making 'em and what are the different ways of robustly mounting them on models.

Cheers

Bob

Hi GuysI'm rebuilding an '89 cellular 1. It has lost it's turbine exhaust tube somehwere along the line. What methods do you guys use for making 'em and what are the different ways of robustly mounting them on models.

Cheers

Bob
It depends on what your after,weight,appearance. In my galllery is a pic of a highly polished tube, i bought a sheet of the thinest polished alum from McMaster and had a shop roll it. Most guys use roof flashing it bends when you kook at it. I have a bracket under the rear deck that holds the rear deck and tube. https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...&pos=-12367

Last edited by a moderator:
The only one I built, I used a cardboard shipping tube of appropriate size.

Wrapped 1/64" ply inside of the tube, glass clothed the inside, them removed from the tube.

Painted metalic silver, done.

If you want to make it look shiney wrap it with chrome vinyl from a graphics place

Rick

I make mine out of carbon fiber. I lay it up as a tube and then size the diameter as needed before I set the seam. It's light and strong. As Rick suggested I use some of my silver chrome vinyl from my shop to cover it. Nice thing is if you aver scratch it you can peel the vinyl off and recover it any time.

Most hobby shops have K & S tubbing.. in the same rack they carry falt sheet aluminum. I use this and roll it. Simple and easy to obtain. Put a few 4-40 nuts/bolts to hold it together and mount it to my cowling. I paint mine black, as the Leland hulls never had the long silver tubes, just the hot end of the motor sticking out, so mine are short.

Brian

Hi GuysI'm rebuilding an '89 cellular 1. It has lost it's turbine exhaust tube somehwere along the line. What methods do you guys use for making 'em and what are the different ways of robustly mounting them on models.

Cheers

Bob
You might want to try buying a model rocket tube from Estes Industries, and paint it silver or aluminum color. It would be quick to implement, easy to paint, strong, cheap, and very light. Easily replaceable too. I've never tried it though.

Dave

Okay, the time has come for me to actually do something.

So have had a go at estimating the tube size for the model from a photgraph of the 1987 Cellular One.

from thje prportions on the photo I have , I've worked out that the diameter of the tube needs to be about 3.4" for 1/8 scale, which seems large does it sound right for a turbine tube of that era?

Just in case you want to cheat. Joe Moceri makes an epoxy version that has the rear cowl, tube and 5" deck all built together. It's made for the 89 Bud, 89 dewalt, 90 Miss Madison etc. I painted mine with crome paint and everybody swears it's aluminum. Joes no is 314-210-4150

Last edited by a moderator:
We use to go to the local newpaper and get the sheets of metal from the days printing. Most newspapers use metal sheets in the rolled printing process. The good thing is, it is already rolled. The bad thing is, you have to clean the ink off of the metal. But they make a nice free tube...

Bigbird

Thanks Guys

What I need to know now is whether the 3.4" I've calculated for the diameter of the 1/8 scale Turbine tube is about right?

Latest posts

Back