Miss elam

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_hedlund

Hello

Does anybody know what paint code the orange is on the 2005 Miss Elam. I've have been told it is Neon orange from the House of Kolors. But i really don't what to use H of K, I have a lot of PPG stuff and would like to use up what i have.

Thanks 100_0341_JPG.jpg

Hello

Does anybody know what paint code the orange is on the 2005 Miss Elam. I've have been told it is Neon orange from the House of Kolors. But i really don't what to use H of K, I have a lot of PPG stuff and would like to use up what i have.

Thanks View attachment 4930
Over the last year and half or so, being doing a little research on this:)

If you refer to a Pantone color, it is 021c, this is very close. Go just slightler darker than this and you will have a good match.

Have fun!

Rw

Thanks for the reply. Are you refering to the color on Aquacraft new boat or the real boat? PPG has a poppy orange that looks very close to 021. I'm repainting my 1/12 miss bud, to look like the 2005 Miss Elam.

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply. Are you refering to the color on Aquacraft new boat or the real boat? PPG has a poppy orange that looks very close to 021. I'm repainting my 1/12 miss bud, to look like the 2005 Miss Elam.

Thanks again
Referring to both, Pantone 021c is very close to the 1/1 Miss Elam. The PPG poppy orange will probably work and look very well.

Rw

Hello,

I had built the ELAM a while ago and talked to the team to get the paint color. This color will fade if you let it sit in the sun. There may be additives that you can put in the paint now that will stop the fading. The paint color is House of Kolor (HOK), the paint number NE-503 Orange Neon. I hope this helps.

Jim

I hate to bust your bubble but I know of nothing that matches even close to HOK neon orange. Unless you wanted to use Neschen pro brite9961 orange vinyl. As long as you apply 2 to 3 coats of clear you shouldn't have problems with fading unless you leave it outside or exposed to the sun for days.

Yeah i think if i'm going to get that look i have no choice but to go with H of K on it. I have been looking at the poppy orange and it just is too far off.

Has anyone ever tied to put H of K over PPG , I thinking of tring to paint it in PPG white base coat and then spraying H Of C over the top of that then clearing it with DAU 82 clear ?

Yeah i think if i'm going to get that look i have no choice but to go with H of K on it. I have been looking at the poppy orange and it just is too far off.

Has anyone ever tied to put H of K over PPG , I thinking of tring to paint it in PPG white base coat and then spraying H Of C over the top of that then clearing it with DAU 82 clear ?
I have use H of K over Sikins and PPG and the opp as well. I have not found any base color that is close to the H of K 503. The H of K Clear works real with hight nitro as well. The PPG DAU 82 is not very high solid clear and will fade alot faster than a 2 coat high solid clear would.

Last edited:

I have use H of K over Sikins and PPG and the opp as well. I have not found any base color that is close to the H of K 503. The H of K Clear works real with hight nitro as well. The PPG DAU 82 is not very high solid clear and will fade alot faster than a 2 coat high solid clear would.
Not to mention DAU82 is discontinued & replaced by Concept series clears. I myself have never had any fading issues with either of the DAU or Concept clears but that's not to say it can't happen. :blink:

Not to mention DAU82 is discontinued & replaced by Concept series clears. I myself have never had any fading issues with either of the DAU or Concept clears but that's not to say it can't happen. :blink:
Sorry I ment the neon base will fade,not the clear it just dies back . :lol:

You'd probably better check the catelist for that clear before you comit to spraying. If you've had it this long it's probably bad!! That clear was discontinued along time ago. I'm in agrement with the other guys, If you like PPG the concept (high solids) clears are good over neon. I used 82 clear on one of Ken Hildreth's boats about 12 years ago and it would fade if you set it in the shade. Ask Ken, Beat anything I ever seen. If you set it in the closet for a fiew days it would come back.

I only reason i was planning on going with Dau 82 is i still have a 3/4 gallon that has been in the basement for about 8 years, I have looked at the catalyst and it isn't milky or chunky so i assumed that it was still good. If i use it i'll try it over a test panel first.

What primers is everyone using, I was going to use some K-36 over the repaired areas and then also use it as a sealer before applying the base coat. I have been out of the paint industry for about 10 yr now but how long before i can tape on PPG base coat? The booth i'll be using temperature is held at 76 deg all the time, I'm not sure how what the humidity is in that booth.

I have another question when applying decal over the color do you use any soapy water to help postion the decals?

I only reason i was planning on going with Dau 82 is i still have a 3/4 gallon that has been in the basement for about 8 years, I have looked at the catalyst and it isn't milky or chunky so i assumed that it was still good. If i use it i'll try it over a test panel first.

What primers is everyone using, I was going to use some K-36 over the repaired areas and then also use it as a sealer before applying the base coat. I have been out of the paint industry for about 10 yr now but how long before i can tape on PPG base coat? The booth i'll be using temperature is held at 76 deg all the time, I'm not sure how what the humidity is in that booth.

I have another question when applying decal over the color do you use any soapy water to help postion the decals?
Shoot at least 1 coat of clear first. Then aply the decals. If you apply them wet, you need to let them dry a fiew days first before applying the rest of the clear. Trust me! I am the master of short cuts but I've had a fiew ocasions where air traped between the base coat and the decal blistered due to the chemical heat or "gassing" of the clear. It's not pritty. If you look in the dictionary under "stupid painting mestakes" it says "see Wes"

I agree with Wes shoot your first coat of clear first before applying graphics. Use water but water only no soap. Soapy water increases the possibility of trapping air bubbles and it has a tendency to affect the adhesive on the vinyl. You don't need to soak it just a light mist on the area you are applying to. Make sure you take a squeegee and scree out all the liquid that my be under the vinyl as well. Burnish it down really well before removing the premask tape. Then remove the premask at an angle to the graphic, slowly and low accross the graphics not upward. Don't use a hairdryer to try and accelerate the drying since that may mess with your graphic and make the clear gas a bit. Better just give it at least a day before the next coat of clear.

Another quick tip about applying graphics is use tape to position your graphics before you apply. There are a couple of ways to do it. The Hinge method is one. Say you're doing a sponson graphic....take a length of tape and place it along the top edge of your graphic half on top of the premask tape(the tape you pull off afterword) and half that will stick to the boat. place your graphic on the sponson and when you get it where you want it, lightly stick the tape to the deck. Now you can lift the graphic on the tape hinge and remove the the transfer paper. Then grap the opposite edge of the hinge and squeegee down from the hinge. The hinge tape will come up with the premask.

The other method is the Butterly. If you have a longer sponson graphic you can take a length of tape and place it in the middle 90 degrees to the graphic with overhang on both sides. When it's where you want it apply the tape on both sides. Pick up one side of the graphic and peel back the transfer paper up the hinge. Cut the transfer paper and remove then apply the graphic screeing it down away from the tape. when it's down you can do the other half, same way screeing out from the middle. Then remove the premask and check for and remove any bubbles you may have gotten if any.

I'm going to post a .pdf file of these instructions with basic illustrations on what I'm describing on my website soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mike and Wesleys Custom Graphics for the advise on the decals. I will try to apply them with out any water using the hinge method.

I have the boat primed up. It's about 70% sanded right now i hoping to seal it up this weekend and get start on the painting. do you guys usually put down a color then clear it, wait 12- 24 hr sand it and mask it, apply next color and so on. In normal base coat clear coat i would just mask on the color and clear the whole thing once.

Back