Miss Bardhal cab over ??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will a Phil Thomas roundbow work as a base for this model ?Any better ideas ? Thanks.
The Cabover Bardahl was designed by Ron Jones. It was originally to be a piclefork that Ole Bardalh changed midstream into a roundbow because he didn't like the picklefork design (he thought it to be too dangerous, It was later built by Ron as designed as the 1970 Twin Chrysler Pay n Pak).

So the simple answer to your question is no. No existing roundnose will work to make the 66 Bardahl. Its a one of a kind and the closest thing you could do is get a 28 1/2 foot jones picklefork and fill it in and make it a roundbow. that would give you the 66 Bardahl. Troy

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Troy !! Thanks for all the imfo.So were do I find a 28 1/2 ft. Model ?? that would make an interesting project.

Wow Troy !! Thanks for all the imfo.So were do I find a 28 1/2 ft. Model ?? that would make an interesting project.
I was refering to the full scale dimesions. The model you could modify would be Rogers 108 hull. but you would be best off to get a set of plans from Roger to make the 66 bardahl from scratch.

Thanks again.

I did a little homework and found the hull #. Its U-40 Hull # 6640.Anybody know were I can find more imfo such as pictures.What engine did they run.Any more history on the boat.Thats the part i like.Is going to be too dificult to persue this project ? :( I heard there is some kind of hydo hystory sight some dang where.

I tried calling Roger over the week end as I raced his Slow MO V over the weekend and got the first FE Record of 78 seconds for 5 laps.I wonder how that stacks up against nitro.Anyways heis out racing the real ones some were.So no luck there.

Thanks again.

I did a little homework and found the hull #. Its U-40 Hull # 6640.Anybody know were I can find more imfo such as pictures.What engine did they run.Any more history on the boat.Thats the part i like.Is going to be too dificult to persue this project ? :( I heard there is some kind of hydo hystory sight some dang where.

I tried calling Roger over the week end as I raced his Slow MO V over the weekend and got the first FE Record of 78 seconds for 5 laps.I wonder how that stacks up against nitro.Anyways heis out racing the real ones some were.So no luck there.
Dennis,

Check out The Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum at www.thunderboats.org. The History links have a review of the Bardahl boats as well as driver Ron Musson. Unfortunately, the boat had a tragically brief career.

David Newton has pictures

Bob Heywood

Dayton, OH

The boat only raced once. They had cooling problems at the first race of the year and didn't race until the President's Cup in June of 1966.

The boat won it's first heat and was going for the lead in the second when it nosed in at the starting line. A broken propeller led to the drive line corkscrewing itself and lifting the rear of the boat.

The water was only five feet deep where it went in so it nosed into the mud. Ron Musson was killed and the sport took a huge loss that day. After Musson's death was announced the Miss Budweiser and Notre Dame collided on the back stretch of the final. Killing Don Wilson, who was driving the Bud, and Rex Manchester in the Notre Dame. The race was called and Manchester was awarded the victory after his death by virtue of having 800 points up to that point.

Leo Vandenberg, the Bardahl crew chief, left the twisted shaft and strut to the hydropalne and Raceboast Museum upon his death a little over a year ago. Until that time, no one knew he had it.

David Newton has an extensive collection of pics. Contact him.

[email protected]

Here is one picture I have

1966 Bardahl

Here is another story I just found from the Museum's site.

http://www.thunderboats.org/history/history0250.html

Also if you google "1966 Miss Bardahl" under the images page you will get some more pictures.

Google Search Link

Thank you so much.

My interest is realy growing in building this boat.So were can guy get a Big ole merlin engine ?

Thinking a little futher.8th scale would still render a pretty short hull for electric.Do you think I would have issues with handling or set up problems for a 50 to 60 mph hull ? Please excuse my ignorance.

I have been reading all of the literature available .What a piece of hydrplane history.

Dennis also

My Webpage

Jim clark

Thank you so much.

My interest is realy growing in building this boat.So were can guy get a Big ole merlin engine ?

Thinking a little futher.8th scale would still render a pretty short hull for electric.Do you think I would have issues with handling or set up problems for a 50 to 60 mph hull ? Please excuse my ignorance.

I have been reading all of the literature available .What a piece of hydrplane history.

DUHHHHH !! I am such a ding dong !! I Should have thought of you b4.Thanks for the great pix !! hey I saw apick of a newton model.Any idea if anyone has the plans to her ?Newtons outa town.

Dennis Roger does offer the cabover plans.

Jim

DUHHHHH !! I am such a ding dong !! I Should have thought of you b4.Thanks for the great pix !! hey I saw apick of a newton model.Any idea if anyone has the plans to her ?Newtons outa town.

Back