Mini GPS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Davis

I am sure people are using some sort of Mini GPS devices to measure speed and track of their boats.

What have you found, how do they work, are they reasonable, self contained battery, waterproof, etc?

Lets see what people have found that work for our application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Martin I've been using many units just to see how they perform.Holux 245 is a good one unit,Voltron is very compact and works really fine and its great for small boats...a great option.Quanum is good but if you press the wrong button all data is lost and finally for me the Forunner 201 is my personal preference cause is compact and precise when compared to my calibrated radar gun.Gill

Try an Eagle Tree and you'll never want anything else...
default_smile.png

I bought the dynamite GPS last spring and I liked it. I've never tried anything else so I don't know how it compares to the one the other guys suggested. It claims to be waterproof, but I still put it in a balloon. It has a built in battery that charges on a mini USB cord. Shows avg speed, top speed, altitude, and will graph out your runs on Google maps if you hook it up to your PC (haven't tried that feature yet.) Its about the size of a zippo lighter.

We used Eagle Tree's GPS with their data logger since they started offering them. The first ones were marginal, but later ones worked well. We mostly used them for speed readings, but course tracking was interesting (and embarrassing) as well. These days they are into FPV and offer a unit for drone racing that might be useful for our two dimensional racing. Added to an FPV camera and monitor it would add a new dimension to racing.

Lohring Miller

Back