Just wonderin....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
I see that Brian Blazer is offering what looks to be a gorgous lauterbach gas hydro kit...what i was wondering is because this is not a model of an unlimited hydro, is it still legal to race in the classic thunder boat class?....I built his whiplash 20 hydro a while back,( still havent gotten it wet yet!) and it was BY FAR the nicest and most accurate wood kit that ive ever built, and im sure that the lauterbach kit will be no different! I just dont want to put in the time and money into something i couldnt race, if i wanted to.. would have bought a zippkit in a minute if it was not for the problems with the size of the hull... Thanks, Bill

What is the problem? Lauterback built an Unlimited.

Thanks,

Steve Ball

I see that Brian Blazer is offering what looks to be a gorgous lauterbach gas hydro kit...what i was wondering is because this is not a model of an unlimited hydro, is it still legal to race in the classic thunder boat class?....I built his whiplash 20 hydro a while back,( still havent gotten it wet yet!) and it was BY FAR the nicest and most accurate wood kit that ive ever built, and im sure that the lauterbach kit will be no different! I just dont want to put in the time and money into something i couldnt race, if i wanted to.. would have bought a zippkit in a minute if it was not for the problems with the size of the hull... Thanks, Bill

That Boat is desinged for the Thunderboat class and is legal , impba,namba, as long as you use a stock gas 26cc engine, I dont know if it would be legal in 1/8th scale though?

What is the problem? Lauterback built an Unlimited.
Thanks,

Steve Ball

Hi Steve, I dont know the rules pertaining to the classic thunder boat class...but the real boat that Brian modeled is not an unlimited.....it was run as a GP or a 7 liter limited class hydroplane. if the rules allow that, then i couldnt be happier!! If that is the case, then im gonna start savin my money, cause that IS a beautiful boat! Thanks, Bill

Hey Bill,

Classic Thunderboats were never required modeled after any real hydroplane. The Blazer hull will certainly be legal for Classic Thunderboat under either IMPBA or NAMBA rules.

larcor69 stated.... "I dont know if it would be legal in 1/8th scale though?

- - - The hull is definitely not legal for 1/8 Scale. It does not meet the allowable Master Hull Roster measurements for any of the three Unlimited hulls built by Henry Lauterbach.

CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hey Bob Johnson, the picture you show of the Lauterbachs is the top one the Wa Wa with the Ford flathead?

Just wondering.

The Dad"

Hey Bob,

Yes, I believe it is. I found that pic on a Memorial page shortly after Henry passed, liked it and decided to use it as an Avitar to honor the man.

I was stationed in Norfolk in the '70s and had the priviledge of meeting Henry through my boating buddy - Frank Blanchard. I was always in awe of Henry's craftsmanship - - Fantastic !!! Frank and I watched the U-5 Lauterbach Special being built in the loft, were there to see it painted, and went to the President' Cup for it's first race. Frank gave his 1/8th Scale to Larry a while back. Frank remembers the U-36 Miss US being built by Henry, and Larry - just the right height as a young boy to varnish the interior frames.

Brian's new Classic Lauterbach looks GREAT !!! Nice to know there will be many more Lauterbach hulls available for people to see for a long while to come. CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

BillStart saving your money!!!!!

The Dad
Hi Bob, do you and Brian have any kits available at this time? (cowls too?).....If so, how much do I add for shipping?Many thanks, Bill
Brian got 15 last week and they are all gone now. He is going to make some more and should be available in a couple of weeks.

I'm in the process of building 2 as we speak. There will be some changes made to make it even more easy to build.I've got about 20hrs. in it and will be puting the bottom of the sponsons on tomorrow. Then flip it over and on to the decks. I know I'm a little prejudice but this Lauterbach Thunderboat kit goes together better and easier than anything I have built so far. It's unbelievable! Everything is right on the money.

Check out his web site @BlazerMarine.com.

The Dad

BillStart saving your money!!!!!

The Dad
Hi Bob, do you and Brian have any kits available at this time? (cowls too?).....If so, how much do I add for shipping?Many thanks, Bill

Hey Bill, I have a TON of great shots of Bob's boat- "Blitz-Krieg" from the day they had it at the Brandon pond if your looking for a nice scheme :rolleyes: Sounds like your already done- LOL - ;)

See my avatar pic.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back