Is this a legal hull?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You never specified what class and sanctioning body you want to run it in. We would need to know that to answer your question.

This is the Aeromarine 1/8 scale Unlimited Hydro, 1989 JIFF presents Mr.Pringles,

Legal in Unlimited.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would depend on how picky the club you are racing with is on the details. The cowling is totally wrong, so it would be a judgement call.

If I remember right, the prototype cowl was longer in the rear than on that particular boat. Leave it to the Czar to pick out the inaccurate nontrips ;)

The cowl has a couple of problems actually. This one looks to be a morph of the regular cowl and the salt water bonnet that they ran in SD. It sould be longer correct but it didn't have an airscoop of any kind. It was rounded and enclosed coming off the back of the canopy. The Bud used something similar but it didn't have as high a profile as the Pringle's.

The cowl has a couple of problems actually. This one looks to be a morph of the regular cowl and the salt water bonnet that they ran in SD. It sould be longer correct but it didn't have an airscoop of any kind. It was rounded and enclosed coming off the back of the canopy. The Bud used something similar but it didn't have as high a profile as the Pringle's.

Supposedly it ran at the NAMBA nationals. That's the claim anyway. It wouldn't take much work to modify the non trips, would it?

I saw the other pics of this boat Doug......you'd be better off passing on this one. The amount of time it would take you to fix the non-trip issue....yikes! You'd be better off building a new boat from scratch.

Even if this did enter a NAMBA nationals it shouldn't have been allowed to run. The cowl and the non-trips are the main reasons but I suspect there may be an issue where it may not measure out correctly either. I know the Aeromarine hulls will pass on some boats but not others. I've only seen one that was legal as a Miller American.

The non trips are the long flat panels that run the horizontal length of the boat from the rear of the sponsons to the transom. They run from the vertical inside wall of the airtrap to the deck. On the real boat the non trips have less angle because there is a vertical surface that bridges the gap from the deck to the angled area. On the model boat in question the boat has the single angled piece of non trip rather instead of having the vertical facet and the angle like the real boat.

Back