I'm looking for a good Fritz hull for 91 Madison or current O'BoyO'Berto

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the market for a good fritz hull that made the Bud, Madison or current O'berto. I think it even made the tony tiger boat. It can be used as long as it's in good shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wes, the Fritz Bud hull is the closest thing to that but you would need to lengthen it to make it fit the hull roster. As it is, the Fritz hull would be a little over an inch too short. The original boat was lengthened in 1991 from the original build in 1988.

Wes, the Fritz Bud hull is the closest thing to that but you would need to lengthen it to make it fit the hull roster. As it is, the Fritz hull would be a little over an inch too short. The original boat was lengthened in 1991 from the original build in 1988.
I want to make the Miss Madison. I think it was 1991 when they had their first turbin boat. Did the Madison crew lengthen the boat? Where did they stretch it? It was the Bud before it was the Madison right?

Actually that hull was originally built for the Miss Madison team in 1988 as the Holset Miss Madison. Their first all new boat I believe. It was lengthened in 1990 when they changed the configuration of the transom and added rear shoes. The 1991 boat your speaking of was the Valvoline Miss Madison. White base with blue red and yellow striping right? Minimum length for that boat is 45.25 inches. In '93 it changed again but only slightly in length. Most of it is in the canoe extensions and rear shoes. That boat has a really deep inset transom. Not saying it can't be done but you'll need to do some extensive mods to the cockpit and transom. The MHR # for that boat is 8806. The Fritz Bud was made to make the 9401 Bud although I've seen Elams and a number of others made out of it.

Actually that hull was originally built for the Miss Madison team in 1988 as the Holset Miss Madison. Their first all new boat I believe. It was lengthened in 1990 when they changed the configuration of the transom and added rear shoes. The 1991 boat your speaking of was the Valvoline Miss Madison. White base with blue red and yellow striping right? Minimum length for that boat is 45.25 inches. In '93 it changed again but only slightly in length. Most of it is in the canoe extensions and rear shoes. That boat has a really deep inset transom. Not saying it can't be done but you'll need to do some extensive mods to the cockpit and transom.
So what your saying is that the piston boat and the turbin boat were the same but with a fiew mods to the rear and I guess a different cowl?

Exactly. When they went turbine they went to a Bud style airscoop, cowl and rear fairing. Even the turbine tube was fluted and long like the Bud. The cockpit has remained relatively similar since the first hull with a few minor changes. The boat they are running now as the Oberto is the same hull that they've had since 1988 just rebuilt a few times. It's the oldest hull in the current fleet.

Actually that hull was originally built for the Miss Madison team in 1988 as the Holset Miss Madison. Their first all new boat I believe. It was lengthened in 1990 when they changed the configuration of the transom and added rear shoes. The 1991 boat your speaking of was the Valvoline Miss Madison. White base with blue red and yellow striping right? Minimum length for that boat is 45.25 inches. In '93 it changed again but only slightly in length. Most of it is in the canoe extensions and rear shoes. That boat has a really deep inset transom. Not saying it can't be done but you'll need to do some extensive mods to the cockpit and transom.
So what your saying is that the piston boat and the turbin boat were the same but with a fiew mods to the rear and I guess a different cowl?
Back in 88 (i think ) I had a Thunderboat reproductions Hull. The same year they had the big boat. I was having the same problems with mine that they were having with theirs. We could not keep the strut out of the water. I made the same mods and at the same time they were were making theirs. Unfortunitally mine didn't work and I sold the boat shortly before I got out of RC boats but I thought they bought a new boat for their turbin motor.

Nope, same boat. The APBA master hull roster has some pretty good details about what dimensions changed and when. I had an issue with that very same boat as I was going to build a '95 DeWalt and there was a conflict between what I got on the hull from Dick Caspari and the NAMBA Scale rules. At the time the rule said the length was supposed to be measured to the transom. Problem is the rule was written before the advent of all the inset transoms back in the late 80s and early 90s. Some boats did and some didn't have the insets so it was confusing. I contacted the team and they verified that the measurements for the boat were to the end of the canoe extensions not the transom. That being the case what Dick built for me was right. It was a big hassle for me when I was a Scale Chairman. Had people building Obertos that were too short.

Does anyone have pics of the 91 Madison? I have one of it on it's side on the trailer but nothing of the back.

Nope, same boat. The APBA master hull roster has some pretty good details about what dimensions changed and when. I had an issue with that very same boat as I was going to build a '95 DeWalt and there was a conflict between what I got on the hull from Dick Caspari and the NAMBA Scale rules. At the time the rule said the length was supposed to be measured to the transom. Problem is the rule was written before the advent of all the inset transoms back in the late 80s and early 90s. Some boats did and some didn't have the insets so it was confusing. I contacted the team and they verified that the measurements for the boat were to the end of the canoe extensions not the transom. That being the case what Dick built for me was right. It was a big hassle for me when I was a Scale Chairman. Had people building Obertos that were too short.
Have you seen any of Dicks O'Berto boats that ran well?

I've seen a couple of his other boats that have run well. No Obertos though.
have his 02 oh berto with the saltwater scoop,,,runs well,,that big scoop catches alot of air/wind though
I don't think that would be the same hull. I'm not sure but I think the Miss Madison did not run as the O'Berto till maby 96. What I'm wondering is, does the Thunderboat hull run the same basic sponson bottoms as the Fritz and Joe Lacero hull? With Joes sponson, there is a slight negative angle of atack on the bottom of one sponson. You would think it would hurt the handling but it seems to really help the boat slice through the corners.

Actually the Madison team was running as the DeWalt in 1996. They picked up Oberto in Mid 2001. As far as the sponson bottoms of the Fritz vs TR hulls are concerned they are both Jones style radiused sponsons. However, neither are perfect right out of the box but the Fritz is by far better and closer to where you want to be. The only real mods you would need to are to the angles of the running surfaces. The TR boat needs help there and on the recovery pads on the sides as well as the dead rise pads. The sponsons on the Fritz are asymetrical and the breaks are set up correctly for better turning. They actually mirror whats on a real boat. The breaks on the TR boat are the same on both sponsons and that needs to be changed or they slide in the turns. I had both boats in my shop at one point and at first glance they look similar from the top but the bottoms are very different.

Actually the Madison team was running as the DeWalt in 1996. They picked up Oberto in Mid 2001. As far as the sponson bottoms of the Fritz vs TR hulls are concerned they are both Jones style radiused sponsons. However, neither are perfect right out of the box but the Fritz is by far better and closer to where you want to be. The only real mods you would need to are to the angles of the running surfaces. The TR boat needs help there and on the recovery pads on the sides as well as the dead rise pads. The sponsons on the Fritz are asymetrical and the breaks are set up correctly for better turning. They actually mirror whats on a real boat. The breaks on the TR boat are the same on both sponsons and that needs to be changed or they slide in the turns. I had both boats in my shop at one point and at first glance they look similar from the top but the bottoms are very different.
EXACTLY!!! Thats what I've been trying to find out! I got measuremants of a Joe Moceri hull (Bud Boat) and they match IMPBAs measurements for length , width and pickle for 91-93 if you are measureing overall length with rear pads.

EXACTLY!!! Thats what I've been trying to find out! I got measuremants of a Joe Moceri hull (Bud Boat) and they match IMPBAs measurements for length , width and pickle for 91-93 if you are measureing overall length with rear pads.
Outside measurements are are good, but there would be alot of work to take that bud hull and make it what you are looking for. My 2 cents Doug

Back