Hydrodynamic and Aerodymanic Effeciency

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Bastick

Does anyone know the various formula's to calculate the Lift/Drag coeficient for the aerodymamics on the the top of the hull, and the drag formula's for hydrodynamic drag

any info would be appeciated

NASA has a lot of free info online. It is a little difficult to navigate directly to the exact thing that you are looking for. Most of the time you just have to follow the internal links. It is some VERY INTERESTING reading. A lot of math but also some good pics, drawings and graphs on wind tunnel testing.

Charles

NASA huh!

I was wondering where you are getting your information from.

I will have to get out of my shop a little more and start reading.

Thanks,

Mark

NASA used to have a fluid dynamics lab at the Ames research center in Mountain View CA, they may still I am not sure. This was to support their wind tunnel testing. When I was there they also had the largest bank of super computers in the nation to support their fluid dynamics models. It was very interesting stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a episode on Myth Busters where they made a miniature Wind Tunnel using, water, oats and boat trolling motor.

What did they find? What was the myth? Fluid dynamics is real science based on physics and mathematics.

Last edited:
They where trying to figure out if you get better gas mileage with your truck lift gate up or down. . You actually get better mileage with it up. It showed how the air swirled around in your truck bed creating less drag and more aerodynamic. It was really neat.

Back