Hydro Turn Fin Hooked Design.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Hagan JR

What goes into designing a good hooked fin?

I have a Blazer fin on my DPS sport 40 and it's the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. But he took them off the website.

Dick Tyndal makes great fins. There's such a high demand that there's a long waiting list.

Phil Thomas made some long ago but the hook isn't enough.

I've been talking to a guy about making turn fins for the past 2 months. I gave him some old fins as a example.

1st question. What's the best material and thickness to with stand the pressure. All size boats.

2nd question. Glenn Gates let me use a Carbon Fiber Turn fin and it held up really good. Why isn't there more of these?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been making Titanium fins for the gas guys and have sold tons. They cost a little more however they are thinner and stronger. Maybe I should start making them for nitro. Hmmmmmm. :)

To me the best way is to buy them from Mike Hughes. [email protected]
I've run several of Mike's fins. They are very fast in the turns and allow a very fine adjustment of the downward pull on the fin. They were developed in years of sport 40 testing. However, they are very unforgiving of left corrections. The old style angled fin isn't as fast in turns, but will allow some left without blowing off. Below are pictures of a hooked and an angled fin.

Lohring Miller

Im sure Brian took them off the site because he is overwhelmed with boat orders. He dont have time for extra fins right now

I was at his house and he is extremely busy laser cutting kits.

I've run my own CF fins for years but am switching to Ti next year, amazing stuff! Just as thin, almost as light but able to hold an edge much better.

Randy's work is very nice... :)

Hmm.. This got off topic real quick.

Yes I know Mike Hughes makes turn fins. They look great from what I've seen.

I also know why Brian Took turn fins off his site.

I'm talking and the hook in the fin. How much is too much. How little is too little.

I'll post a picture tonight for a example.

I've run my own CF fins for years but am switching to Ti next year, amazing stuff! Just as thin, almost as light but able to hold an edge much better.

Randy's work is very nice... :)
How thick where your C/F fins. How thick is the Ti fins.

CF was about 1/16" but for a 40 size boat 0.050" Ti works well.

I personally don't like a crazy amount of hook, it just makes it real twitchy, my driver doesn't like that. :lol:

What goes into designing a good hooked fin?

I have a Blazer fin on my DPS sport 40 and it's the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. But he took them off the website.

Dick Tyndal makes great fins. There's such a high demand that there's a long waiting list.

Phil Thomas made some long ago but the hook isn't enough.

I've been talking to a guy about making turn fins for the past 2 months. I gave him some old fins as a example.

1st question. What's the best material and thickness to with stand the pressure. All size boats.

2nd question. Glenn Gates let me use a Carbon Fiber Turn fin and it held up really good. Why isn't there more of these?
Samuel, The carbon fiber fins (where they are thinned at the leading edge) are prone to chip rather then bending when you hit a stick or other object in the water- and you will hit something eventually. Remember- you only used the carbon fin for one race. I build the straight fins out of three layers of .030 Carbon fiber laminated together and make them a bit oversized so they can be ground back a couple times to remove chips or dings- after that- they are done.

Back