Hull information

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Johnstone

Hi all,

I have been looking on the Newton website at various hull plans etc. I was wondering if there is a master list anywhere of the plan numbers for all boats eg 137-N? Reason I ask is that I am trying to find out the timeline of the various T-Plus boats and what changed and when, I have looked at the MHR and noticed the sponson change, just wanting to find as much info as possible, cowl changes etc.

Thanks

Hey Wayne,

The Newton plan won't give you that kind of information either. I know of no source that tracks cowl changes. The Master Hull Roster will give you major hull changes as they are made. I would guess that pictures taken at a specific races and years would be the only source of cowl changes, etc. I see two hulls that ran as T-Plus - MHR 8200 in '91, '92 & '93, and MHR 9302 '93 - '95.

Here are 3 pics of the 8200 in San Diego 1992, one in '93 colors. And six pics of the 9302 from various sources. Somewhere, I have pics of both hulls in San Diego hot pit in '93. When and if I find them, I'll forward. CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks for the info & pics Bob, much appreciated. What I have found so far is that the T-Plus started at Tri-Cities in 91 with the white/grey/red colour scheme, I believe it started the 92 season with same hull/cowl set up but changed to the black/red/ colours, at some time during the season it changed to the Jones sponsons, I assume that this may have also been when the cowl changed, keeping the same colour scheme. In 93 it changed to the yellow/black colour scheme. This boat raced for half of 93 with the twin wing also racing in part of the 93 season until finishing at the end of the 95 season. That is what i have so far, some of the details are assumed, if I am wrong, could someone correct me please. Anyone know when the sponsons changed? The MHR just says it happened in 92. Thanks

Hey Wayne,

You are welcome.

Referencing Hydros Who's Who for 1991, I see the 8200 first appear as Oh Boy! Oberto Nov 16,1990 Top Gun Hydrofest, Honolulu - placed 2nd, as Brake Shop at Gold Cup Detroit - placed 4th,Arc Construction Special at Thunder on the Ohio, Evansville - placed 4th, and as Harvey Motor Sports Governor Cup Madison - Did Not Finish.

Miss T-Plus Hyperlube for the Columbia Cup in Tri-Cities - placed 3rd, then for Ranier Cup in Seattle - placed 6th, Budweiser Cup in San Diego - placed 3rd, and finally at Top Gun Hydrofest in Honolulu (Oct 27, 1991) placed 4th. I don't believe I've ever seen a pic as T-Plus Hyperlube

I believe the Jone's sponsons were put on prior to the 1992 season opener Budweiser Miami Regatta 7 Jun, after T-Plus became the primary sponson in '91, and for the entirity of the '92 season. The new hull was built for the '93 season and raced in Evansville,Tri-Cities, Seattle, San Diego, and Honolulu.

Here is a pic of the '90 - '91 Oberto with the original style sponsons. Second pic isn't posting very well - it's an odd shape out of news print. CHEERS !!! Bob

I think you are correct about the fitting of the Jones sponsons Bob. After looking at some more photos, it looks like the 91 cowl was used for the start of the 92 season before changing at some time to the 'Frown' cowl.

Hi, would anyone of photos of the 92 T-Plus boat at the Tri-Cities, Seattle or Kansas City races? If so, would you be able to tell me if it has the letterbox (squareish) opening in the cowl or the frown style cowl. Thanks

Wayne I will pull the DVDs I have of 92. I have I think 6 races from 92 and I should be able to tell you when it ran and with what cowl. Might be a day or so my schedule is pretty crazy right now.

Hey Wayne,

I remembered this AM that I have video of the hull from 1991 San Diego race and another from the 1992 Race Program, and a news print side view as the '91 Oberto. I don't have the facility to get a decent image from the VHS video, but here are a few digital pic of the TV screen. The pic as Oberto will give you a good side cowl shape, and the '92 of the front cowl shape. CHEERS !! Bob

Back