Here’s what my “thunderboat” looks like now

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking that I will buy waterproof servos, and mount them outside a plastic radio box. Plastic “ project box” will have an on/off switch, a 2s life 2200 battery, and a receiver( probably one of my airplane6 channel receivers.)

Very neat and nice! I am thinking about doing the same thing with some slight modifications:
1. I would like to use the rotary action of the servo post to rotate the throttle arm, so I do not have any any bellcranks in the system. Fewer moving parts. I think Zipp kits offers this hardware setup.
2. I would like to use a project box for my waterproof area. I can get one with a rubber lid gasket, and mounting lugs to mount it to raised plywood blocks on the floor. 4 screws to tighten lid.

Your rudder servo setup is very nice. Clean, straight, tough.. have some general questions:
1) In general, do you worry about getting water in your boat while running? Did you keep you pipe cooling vents open?
2) I notice that you kept some of your upper cross- frames intact. Were you concerned about the hull twisting?

J.B.

Yeah don’t worry about water. You have floatation in the boat. It won’t sink. Make sure you also add floatation to the cowl. At some point it will fly off and it will sink if you don’t add something that floats. When the boat is on plane, water will not come in to any great degree. It may when the boat is sitting still but again you have floatation. It’s best to let air circulate in your hull so don’t close up open frames . Make sure your electronics box is sealed up tight and you silicone around where the wires enter. I saw where you mentioned using an airplane receiver? I don’t recommend doing this. I would use a surface radio and surface receiver. Most modern radios have memory and you can run all your boats with them. On the throttle, I use the Zippkits cable setup on ALL my gas boats. It works great. While it is a flexible setup, I try to keep the line between the servo and throttle as straight as possible. You can do somewhat of an S bend but mount the servo in the direction of the front of the boat. If you try to do a 90 it creates drag and your throttle response is delayed or inhibited in my experience. I’m attaching a pic of one of my setups.

IMG_1638.jpegIMG_1630.jpeg

Back