GYRO USE ON ADJUSTABLE CANARDS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Bastick

Does anyone have a particular brand of Gyro they prefer, for using on canards, i.e. like the futaba series of Piezo etc, and is it mixed in with the use of a 3rd channel, is a Gyro/servo combo the way to go

thanks

Shane

kind of a double post but a piezo is what was recommended to me by a heli guy not the head lock type.

Last edited:
I am also a RC heli pilot and I use Futaba on my helis. I have not tried gyro's on boats yet but agree with Hugh (the Heading hold, lock type is not appropriate for the boat application). So you would need to deactivate the HHold feature to suit your application. Also keep in mind many gyros need a specific voltage range to operate properly (or you will toast the unit). I would think the GY240 would be a good unit for our boats.

Check the "for sale " sections on Helifreak and Runryder (heli sites). You should be able to pick up a GY240 or a GY401 for a very good price. No need to buy new.

Steve Ball

The FE Scale guys are having good luck using a servo/gyro controlled canard wing; however the nitro guys are getting a lot of chatter movement in the canard do to the engine vibration affecting the gyro.

May be a dumb question, but why not use a pitch control for r/c subs instead of a heli gyro? They are smaller, adjustable sensitivity and provide the exact function needed for canards.

Mike

Thanks guys,

I was talking to a heli expert here in Australia, and they recommended a Futaba 520 gyro together with a really fast digital servo - as the gryo would benefit from the ultra fast servo to keep up with angle of attack changes, so I'll give this one ago and report on how it goes

May be a dumb question, but why not use a pitch control for r/c subs instead of a heli gyro? They are smaller, adjustable sensitivity and provide the exact function needed for canards.

Mike
I've been wondering why no one has tried this. Can you shed any light on how a Automatic pitch control works.

Mike

Nothing dumb at all about your question, Ive never seen the device you speak of, so for me Im the ignorant one . Show us what you are speaking of please.

Hugh

PS

Now that I think about it a few engineers said that device wasnt fast enough. What are the specs of the device you speak of?

Last edited:
This is what I was refering to: http://www.engel-modellbau.eu/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_87&products_id=621

I have 2 of these devices in my subs. I am not an electronic wizard by any means but know they work quite well. The use is to keep a boat level, as one can over-control and 'porpise' a sub. As for being too slow? I don't have anything to compare to, but these units react instantly to angle change and I have the sensitivity dialed down quite a bit. I do know that there are other makes available, but these are the smallest and simplest to set up I have found. I will try to find more info if anyone is interested, but if I were building a boat and wanted controlable canards, this would be my choice for auto adjust.

Mike

I had the canard connected to the rudder a few years back. Worked great if I was out by myself but when I got into race conditions ie. rollers and chopp, the water would just rip the the thing off. Seemed like the stiffer I made it, the more damage it would do when I hit a wake.

When you say connected to the rudder do you mean mechanically via a bell crank or something like that or via y connector from the receiver? Is that a holeset madison in the avatar ? Went to your page You do some nice work. I love that Degree Hydro; really sharp. B)

Hugh

Last edited:
Back