Front Canard Wing Help.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Hagan JR

So after 2 years of battling with my front wing it finally decided to break off and sank to the bottom. I put this wing through hell all year.

My question is I'm going to make me a new front canard wing out of C/F wrapped around balsa. Or should I use foam.

The original wing I had was fiberglass from R/C boat company. Did not hold up at all.

Sam that wing is the first thing to go when you smash bouys. No wing will hold up long term but carbon wrapped balsa will not sink.

I think it could be the driver.
default_biggrin.png
default_tongue.png

Sam ,

I will make you a new frt wing I have some 17 oz Kevlar that I have made them out of before. Will last but be carefull how you mount it

The wing will be 10 time stronger than the mount. Make sure it can detatch from hull.

Sam ,

I will make you a new frt wing I have some 17 oz Kevlar that I have made them out of before. Will last but be carefull how you mount it

The wing will be 10 time stronger than the mount. Make sure it can detatch from hull.
Please, Please, Please, don't make a Kevlar wing that easy detaches from the hull. Those things are bullet proof and hard to see. Can you say land mine? My dad ran over one with his speedy and it destroyed the prop, strut & rudder. Also needed a new stuffing tube.

Form core Carbon will not hold up. I have made these wing out of it all. The only thing that holds up is Kevlar..Jeff with the composite world in place in today's race boats. You hit anything that is vacuumed formed and heat set it will take out a prop,rudder, Strut. My vacuumed formed e glass parts are 10 time stronger than a wet lay or 50 times stronger than wood. Sucks but

Thanks Doug.

My problem isn't the attaching, its the strength of the wing from the bouncing. Every time I add strength in one part it breaks somewhere else. And it's not from hitting anything. Just from rough water.

Looks great Sam. Thanks for the helpful info on this both here and offline. I hope to to do something similar. I have a Merv Snowden hull (also a Bud T6) that is in need of a new canard as well. Doug, I sent you a pm about this wondering if you are offering your canards to anyone and if so how much? Thanks again guys.

Ken S.

Latest posts

Back