foam wings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinslip

Hi guys....newbie here again. The picture below shows my first attempt at foam wings. The plan is to cover them with light epoxy fiberglass cloth. They will go on my 1/6 scale T6 which should come soon from ML Boatworks. Please let me know what you think. I'm open to suggestions and criticism. I'd hate to waste my time.

Thanks

Norm

DSC04502.JPG

Hi guys....newbie here again. The picture below shows my first attempt at foam wings. The plan is to cover them with light epoxy fiberglass cloth. They will go on my 1/6 scale T6 which should come soon from ML Boatworks. Please let me know what you think. I'm open to suggestions and criticism. I'd hate to waste my time.

Thanks

Norm
I think you would be better off with bass wood and a layer of cloth for strength. Foamys just wont stand up to a flip and believe me your going to flip it a few times....just my opinion

I would look into covering them with carbon fibre cloth.... I use the stuff on my control-line stunters and it will make them almost indestructible....West systems and some primer....filler...primer...paint... The center wing could be covered in light ply, then glassed. Looks good!

I would look into covering them with carbon fibre cloth.... I use the stuff on my control-line stunters and it will make them almost indestructible....West systems and some primer....filler...primer...paint... The center wing could be covered in light ply, then glassed. Looks good!
I agree with Duck...that's how I'm doing mine...

tho I'm confused about what he said about the center wing being covered with light ply :blink:

side note, I have seen them done primarily with s-glass, with Carbon Fiber strips added top/bottom where the screws go in from the deck/struts...

they look good so far :)

Norm, I make mine out of blue foam. You need to put a 1/4 inch piece of ply on the end of the horizontal wing to keep the brass inserts from pulling out. Then cover all the surfaces with 2 or 3 layers of 2oz fiberglass cloth and west systems epoxy. I have done some up with a single layer of cloth and like Mikey said, they don't last long. Also use 4-40 size plastic screws to hold them on the boat. The screws will usually break before the wings do.

Buddy

I agree with Duck...that's how I'm doing mine...

tho I'm confused about what he said about the center wing being covered with light ply :blink:

side note, I have seen them done primarily with s-glass, with Carbon Fiber strips added top/bottom where the screws go in from the deck/struts...

they look good so far :)

Confused?.... the center wing covered with 1/32" ply was an option. I would go the glass route.....

Latest posts

Back